iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Question

How to Transfer iPhone/iPad apps to New MacBook Pro?

by rbmartiniv / June 10, 2011 2:29 AM PDT

I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro. I need to synch my iPhone and iPad with it but don't know how to "move" everything from the old Mac to the new one. When I connect the iPhone/iPad to the new Mac the on-screen instructions scare me when they mention replacing everything on my iPhone/iPad with what is on the new Mac, which is nothing. I have read the instructions but am confused, mostly afraid I will lose it all. I have backups on the old Mac. I would appreciate any advice or reassurance.
Thanks,
R. Martin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to Transfer iPhone/iPad apps to New MacBook Pro?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to Transfer iPhone/iPad apps to New MacBook Pro?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'm guessing that you ignored the question
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 10, 2011 9:16 AM PDT

"Do you want to transfer data from your old Mac to the new one" when you first started up this new MB Pro.

Collapse -
I didn't give you enough info. Sorry.
by rbmartiniv / June 11, 2011 12:01 AM PDT

Thank you for the reply. Sorry I didn't give you enough info. I didn't run the migration assistant because the display on my old Mac was shot. That's why I bought the new one. I know that I can use Target mode and still see what's on the old Mac. I transfer all of the iTunes songs in Target mode, but what about the synch info? Can it be transferred using the Target mode? I now have a good bit of stuff on my new Mac so not sure I want to use migration assistant now.
Thanks,
Robert

Collapse -
The dead monitor would not make
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 11, 2011 3:05 AM PDT

and difference to the Target Mode and the transfer of all your stuff, but.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by rbmartiniv / June 11, 2011 10:43 AM PDT
Alright! I'm in good shape now. Thanks a lot.

Robert
Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 11, 2011 10:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!
Collapse -
Also,
by Dan Filice / June 14, 2011 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: You're welcome

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the OP registers his Mac Book to iTunes (makes it so iTunes recognizes his user name and account), wouldn't then everything be backed up once he connects his iPhone? Every time I connect my iPhone to my Mac an automatic backup happens onto the Mac. As far as iTunes music, there is an option to either manually manage the music or to automatically sync and copy music files when the device is connected to the computer. All of the "copying" and "backup" steps should happen automatically when the device is connected.

Collapse -
the iPhone backup does not go "up there"
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 14, 2011 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Also,

it just remains on the computer that you are attached to.
Moving to another computer, without moving the iTunes folder, will result in a first iPhone sync that wipes out all the Apps and music that is currently on the iphone

Once Lion and the iCloud come into effect, your idea will work wonderfully

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?