General discussion

How to switch internet to another computer temporarily?

I think I have to do some kind of iprelease/ipconfig thing, but I'm not sure exactly how to do that. I just want to unplug my internet from my new computer and hook it to my old one, so I can forward some e-mails from my old computer before getting rid of it.

The problem is that when I hook up internet to the old computer it will not detect a connection.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How to switch internet to another computer temporarily?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to switch internet to another computer temporarily?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Amnesia?

Is this connection a phone line, DSL, Cable, with or without routers?

Sorry, I can't remember what your setup is.

Bob

- Collapse -
Try this

First turn of the PC. If you are using a DSL or Cable modem, try unpluging it for 20 seconds and try again. If u have a router wait for all the lights on th DSL or Cablem Modem to come on, then connect the router onto it. That should do the trick.

- Collapse -
I figured it out

Called Verizon and found out I needed to iprelease on my current computer, then hook up to old computer. Then I had to iprelease on old computer and rehook to current computer. Thanks for your replys.

CNET Forums