General discussion

How to swap AMD CPUs - And discussing the potential risks

I have an Acer Aspire AX3400-E3202 desktop computer. It came with 3 GB of RAM and I recently upgraded it to have 7 GB of RAM.

I run a little Windows 7 gadget on my desktop and it tells me how much strain my programs are putting on the RAM and the CPU. Since the upgrade the RAM never goes over 50%, but some programs (like iTunes) push the CPUs pretty hard. Syncing 2 devices at once will cause the dial to fly up to 80%. So I was wondering, how difficult is it to change a CPU?

I have an AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 220 Processor (2.80 GHz) in here, and while searching through this list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_socket#List_of_sockets_and_slots
I found out that my processor must use an AM2+ CPU socket.

Now supposedly AM3 CPU sockets are backwards compatible with AM2+ and AM2 sockets. I found a handful of quad-cores, and even a hex-core that all supposedly fit in an AM2+ socket. And I wish these things could be as simple as a quick plug and play, but I know computer hardware isn't that simple. The biggest concern I've heard of is "updating the BIOS", and I know precious little about that aside for the obvious. I've seen warnings that messing with the BIOS improperly can actually brick a desktop.

I like the idea of getting a quad-core (or maybe just a triple-core) processor to beef up my workstation a bit. But I'd like a more comprehensive layout of the risks involved. And maybe some useful guides on how I could make it work. I know that newegg.com can probably supply me with the processor itself for around 100 dollar

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How to swap AMD CPUs - And discussing the potential risks
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to swap AMD CPUs - And discussing the potential risks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
This is the site I found the specs on my socket
- Collapse -
I also found this article

CNET Forums