Question

How to speed up my network or does it have a problem?

Hi,

I setup a network to run my business three years ago. It consists of 7 computers, an HP Media Smart server, three Netgear GS 605 v 3, where I connect the computers, router and printers.

The server is only used as a file server and runs the backups. However, I also put together an Access database which has a front end on each computer and a back end on the server.

Reading data from the database on some machines is terribly slow at times, 30 seconds or more for a response, but other times it is almost as quick as you can type.

We are a lot busier now so do I need to upgrade hardware or do I have a problem. For example, my machine is just a Vista machine and writes to server at 60Mbps and reads at 21Mbps, two other Windows 7 machines write at 70Mbps but only read at 3Mbps.

If I look at the Status of my Local Area Connection Status, its speed is 100.0 Mbps yet the Netgear states 10/100/1000.

I have concluded that I need to change the network cards in the computers, but I don't know if I am correct.

I am a software engineer but no very little about networks.

Thanks for any help

Nige

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How to speed up my network or does it have a problem?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to speed up my network or does it have a problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Yes. Access over a network is a dog.

Nothing new here so I won't duplicate the prior discussions. I will recap the known speedups.

1. Change the entire network to 1000BT speed. AKA gigabit networking.
2. Forget Access for the database but switch to a SQL server. I use MySQL and it's lightning compared to Access.
3. Use Access for your frontend work but MySQL for the database.

Remember I am not duplicating the web on this topic. It's well discussed and this is only the recap.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
More about the gigabit switch.
http://support.netgear.com/product/GS605

There are a few clues in your post that tell me that your wiring could be incorrect. If you made your own cables I only need one answer.

The question is -> Did you pair the wires 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, and 7-8?

If so you should see that odd issue of the speeds and it explains too much.
Bob
- Collapse -
Answer
And last, that "server"

CNET Forums