Computer Help forum

General discussion

How to sort two different column groups in Excel?

by PyrateWench84 / December 31, 2010 1:24 AM PST

I'm making a phone directory for an apartment that looks like this:

Unit__Name___Phone_______ Unit___Name____ Phone
1____Smith____ 555-5555 _____4____Bob___ 555-5555
2____Mary____ 555-5555 ______5____Jeff____ 555-5555
3 ___Jones___ 555-5555 _______6____Sally___ 555-5555

Need it to also look like this:

Unit__Name___Phone_______Unit___Name__? Phone
4____Bob____ 555-5555 _____2_____Mary___ 555-5555
5____Jeff____ 555-5555 _____6_____Sally____ 555-5555
3 ___Jones___ 555-5555 _____1_____Smith___ 555-5555

Need two sheets - one that is sorted by Unit Numbers, the other list needs to be sorted alphabetically by the person's name and since there's two lists set up on the page, I don't know how to A-Z sort them together without it having one A-Z list on the left and one A-Z list on the right, and it needs to start out with A on the left and continue to the 2nd list on the right to end with Z.

I know if it was all one list I could highlight the three columns to sort A-Z by name - but I made two columns of unit/name/numbers next to each other so it will print on one page.

1.) Is there a way to connect A,B,C with D,E,F so I can A-Z sort the entire list on both sides? (Because I can't just highlight the ENTIRE thing and sort or it'd only alphabetize by one column)

2.) Or is there a way if I made just one long list of Unit/Name/Number going down - and then somehow get that to print two up on a page? Like in Microsoft Word if you make a page 2 columns, when you get down to the bottom it moves to the other half of the page rather than continuing to page 2. Because I want this list to all fit on one page - two lists like shown, rather than printing on two pages.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to sort two different column groups in Excel?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to sort two different column groups in Excel?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Fit to one page
by Jonmor68 / December 31, 2010 3:39 AM PST

Why not use Word to print it out, make your 2 columns in Word and insert the data from the spreadsheet.

Collapse -
It can be done
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 31, 2010 3:57 AM PST

The other suggestion to copy/paste into Word may be a good idea for printing purposes, but for sorting it is best to stick with Excel I think, then copy/paste into Word.

If I understand you correctly you have two sheets, and they both have the two "Sets" of columns side-by-side so that each sheet fits to a page.

Did you know that you can highlight and drag whole groups of cells around on a spreadsheet?

For instance your first example, place your cursor over the cell that holds Unit in column 4, (the one which has 4 under it), but don't click the mouse.

Now, hold the left mouse button down and drag over that whole set, all the way to Sally 555-5555.

Release the mouse button then on any edge the highlighted cells, the cursor changes shape, so left mouse button, hold down, and drag to the bottom of the first set of cells.

That way you can sort them all together.

Do the same for the 2nd spreadsheet.

When you're done, reverse the move if you wish so that you have two sets side-by-side again on each sheet.

Whether you print from there or insert into a Word document is up to you, and perhaps experiment will decide for you.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Not sure I follow but you can create the entire list in
by VAPCMD / December 31, 2010 4:20 AM PST

the 3 columns as titled....(Col A) Unit #, (Col B} Name and (Col C) Phone #. Then copy the entire list 'as is' to Columns D, E and F. Now you can highlight and sort A, B and C one way, then highlight and sort D, E and F another way. Depending on the page length, you can then print the content to one page, letter or legal.

Let us know if this works for you.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Using ONLY Excel
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2010 6:42 AM PST

I'm thinking that if we avoid macros or code we could have 2 sheets. The first sheet has it all in one column and sorts just like you suspect.

The second sheet is your "Report Sheet" which has the titles and all that as you wish and for each cell a link to the other sheet in the layout you wish.

Figure about one lunch hour to make that up.
Bob

Collapse -
How long is your list?
by volvogirl / January 1, 2011 7:48 AM PST

And how often will you need to change it? Monthly? If it were me (I?) I would make one master listing down the sheet. Then copy it to another spot like a few columns over or to another sheet. Then you can sort each list the way you want.

Then I would manually copy each part to a new sheet how I wanted it arranged. This is getting hard to explain. I do the same sort of sorting with my dvd/vcr movie list. I do it manually with copy and pasting and dragging around. If you just have to do it once a month it might not be too much. After a couple times you'll get the hang of it.

Collapse -
From here it looks as though we agree. Only problem ... we
by VAPCMD / January 1, 2011 9:09 AM PST
In reply to: How long is your list?

may have lost the poster as there's been no feedback or comment from PyrateWench84.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?