Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

How to shutdown a Chrome Box

by tomg35 / January 22, 2015 11:41 PM PST

Could domeone please tell me how to shutdown a Chromebox?

I can log out Okay, but the only way I can see to totally shutdown is to use the power button - Something I always regarded as the last resort for any computer?

Thanks

tomg35 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to shutdown a Chrome Box
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to shutdown a Chrome Box
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by tomg35

Collapse -
it's on the clock, located on panel
by James Denison / January 23, 2015 2:14 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2015 2:17 AM PST

The long hold down wasn't noted by the OP but maybe that's what their question was about.

Thanks JD.

Collapse -
I want my shutoff button
by James Denison / January 23, 2015 2:28 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for that.

to look like a Miller beer bottle. Wink "when it's time to relax...."

Collapse -
PS
by James Denison / January 23, 2015 2:34 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for that.

Have you found the help button yet in latest firefox versions after 30? I patched mFF28 against the SSL exploit and haven't moved on to the "new" FF versions, simply because I hate the way it looks. My daughter wanted to know where the help was since she'd moved on to the newer version, and I almost didn't find it! Microsoft drops start menu, FF hiding the help button, and Chrome hiding the shutoff, what the heck has gotten into all of them?!

Collapse -
Just tried Alt+H
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2015 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: PS

Only a little hellish.

Collapse -
I'll try that next time
by James Denison / January 23, 2015 3:06 AM PST
In reply to: Just tried Alt+H

I finally found it with no text, just icon, about 2 levels down in the "pancake". Actually there's two "pancake" looking icons, but one proved to be the bookmarks icon. I also realized there was a top header "bar" that cold be turned back on, making things easier. Seems it's not on by default, as in past.

Collapse -
Tapping Alt brings it up top left.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / January 23, 2015 2:48 AM PST
In reply to: PS

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Thanks
by tomg35 / January 23, 2015 11:58 PM PST

Thanks for the post - Sorry to be a little pedantic, do you know if its the same for the ChromeBox? I'm away at the moment so cannot test.

Collapse -
the link was for the manual of Chromebox
by James Denison / January 24, 2015 1:07 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

It applies directly to your question.

Collapse -
sorry
by James Denison / January 24, 2015 1:09 AM PST

I thought I'd linked to a manual, confused with another post I did. Checked back and see that's a chromebook, not chromebox. I would suspect however the system is the same, "ChromeOS"?

Collapse -
Did you try it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2015 1:19 AM PST
In reply to: sorry

I won't see our chromebox for weeks. If it's in that menu or area, that's next.

Collapse -
I'd never thought of looking there
by tomg35 / January 25, 2015 2:15 AM PST

Yes its in the same place.

Thanks

Collapse -
Answer
Times change.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2015 12:15 AM PST

That power button for shutdown was an issue over a decade ago. I can see why folk may ask this.

What I suggest is you try this anyway.
Bob

Collapse -
Okay
by tomg35 / January 23, 2015 2:00 AM PST
In reply to: Times change.

just seems the wrong way to do it - I did search the Google support site but all the hits related to Chromebooks.

There's very little on using the box (but then it is very simple to use).

Collapse -
Something you see more and more today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2015 2:05 AM PST
In reply to: Okay

Is the death/loss of deep documentation. The Chrome OS is pretty different. Since all your stuff is synced and more, you don't risk it all like before.

I've used the Chrome full recovery reset a few times to try to lose something. Because of the sync and more, after I setup it all came back fine.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!