General discussion

How to shrink my task bar

My task bar - at the bottom is now 2 inches high and has modem helper on it. How do I make it go back to the narrower original version and get rid of the modem helper (don't see the value)?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How to shrink my task bar
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to shrink my task bar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: How to shrink my task bar

leenheck, I don't know anything about the Modem Helper program but you should be able to right click your Taskbar and uncheck "Lock the Taskbar" the put your cursor over the upper edge of the Taskbar and when it turns into a 2 sided arrow hold your left mouse button down a drag downwards.

Tufenuf

- Collapse -
Tufenuf

We must have been typing at the same time, thats never happened to me before,LOL.

- Collapse -
Customize

Hi - I tried to duplicate the advice of the two experts, but when I click Properties the Customize rectangle is greyed out and clicking on it does not produce anything. Can you tell me how to revitalize it? Tx - Amos.

- Collapse -
Re: Customize

Amos, Under the Taskbar Properties do you have "Hide Inactive Icons" unchecked? If you do checkmark it, click Apply/OK and restart your computer . Now see if the "Customize" button works.

Tufenuf

- Collapse -
Tufenuf

Been there, Done that, Thank you. Now do I leave "Hide Inactive" checked, or should I uncheck it again ? Amos.

- Collapse -
Amos

Amos, Checkmark it and see what happens. I have mine chekmarked and have never had a problem with the Customize button.

Tufenuf

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks again - Amos
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Amos; Does the Customize button work now?
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It sure does- Tx - Amos
- Collapse -
Task Bar

Right click on the taskbar,uncheck: ''lock the taskbar'', put the cursor on it until the vertical double arrow thing comes up, then left click and drag and drop until it goes where you want it. About getting rid of an icon, again, right click on the taskber and click ''properties'' then click the customise button, you'll see what to do then. Be sure to recheck "lock the taskbar " after you get it positioned. Good luck.

- Collapse -
Thank you

Thanks - with your advice I was able to eliminate the modem helper icon. I can't seem to shrink the task bar - but I am getting used to it.

- Collapse -
leenheck: More info for you
- Collapse -
task bar

You are so nice to try - I read the article but can't drag a task. Mine is like the articel - 2 tasks deep. How do I drag? I put my curser on the task and tried to drag but no luck.

- Collapse -
Re: task bar

leenheck, Just hold your left mouse button down then move your mouse to drag and follow those instructions from that link I gave you.

Tufenuf

CNET Forums