General discussion

How to shop for a new notebook?

If I want to shop for a new car, or a used one, I can get a ton of direct comparison information easily and quickly. But this is not proving to be the case with notebooks. Where can I go to easily find answers to the following questions?

1) Which are the largest note/laptop sellers? From poking around e-Bay and this forum, it seems to be Dell, IBM, Sony, and several smaller players like Acer, Toshiba, Fujitsu, and, and. . .
But I might be misinterpreting what I read.
Who are the top six or eight sellers?

2) Which ones have the best reputation for quality? (I've been reading some scary things about Toshiba Satellites on this forum, causing me to change my mind about considering a Satellite. What does anybody know about Acer TravelMates?)

3) Which ones have the best reputation for customer service (which I hope never to use, because I think that ALL computer tech support is a nightmare today, but I've been reading some good remarks about Fujitsu. Is there a general list/ranking anywhere, the way Consumer Reports does for car reliability?

Most specific question:
If I want a basic notebook just to do word processing away from a wall outlet for as many hours as possible on a single battery charge (at least five), and I'll settle for average performance but not cheap junk, and I want to spend less than $1500 (the farther from $1500, the better), and I want it to have a high probability of still working properly four years from now, what are the the manufacturers I should consider?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How to shop for a new notebook?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to shop for a new notebook?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

CNET Forums

Forum Info