Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

How to set up a wireless home network

by mikewazowski / November 9, 2007 2:16 AM PST

I feel so embarassed. I have searched high and low for a straight answer but I can't seem to work out how to create a home wireless network in my house. I don't know whether it's so easy it's not published anywhere or whether I'm missing something or what but I can't find what I think I'm looking for and it's so common I feel embarassed. So I turn to you guys. Apologies if you think I'm an idiot but please help me out, I am for real.

I have a PC running Windows XP upstairs with a wireless adapter. If a machine is to act as like a server then this is the one I'd want it to be. Downstairs I have a Netgear wireless router which is plugged into my DSL line, acting as the modem my crappy ISP gave me for free. With an ethernet cable I have my Xbox plugged in to this. Then I also roam the house with a laptop running Windows Vista. Oh and my flat mate also has a laptop running Windows XP.
All I want to do is set up a home network, wireless of course, that enables me to see all devices (PC, laptop, and Xbox) on the network, from each machine. I want to be able to transfer files between machines over the network and be able to communicate with my Xbox from my PC or laptop. I would also like my flat mate to be able to tap into the network when he likes so we can transfer files between our computers. I plan on hooking up a printer to the router at a later stage for shared printing too.

That's it. That's all I want to do. Is that so hard?

So what I'm after is a step-by-step guide on configuring this. If someone could point me in the right direction I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks for your time

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
There are only GUIDES.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2007 2:54 AM PST

The step by step is still only a GUIDE and will never match exactly what you see on the screen. I hope this explains that issue well enough for you.

As to your issue today, you omitted the part names, models, makes, how it's connected so there is little more I can offer except to note that the usual cause of not seeing file and printer shares are FIREWALL settings.

Bob

Collapse -
Guides
by mikewazowski / November 14, 2007 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: There are only GUIDES.

Thanks. Could you point me in the direction of them guides then please?

Collapse -
For example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2007 3:41 AM PST
In reply to: Guides
Collapse -
Setting up a wireless home network
by jmgoldberg / November 15, 2007 12:36 AM PST

I use a program called Network Magic that automates many of the functions you are attempting to do. There is a free version to download and try.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!