General discussion

how to set sound volume increasement steps

Recently I bought a remote controller to my PC, but the increasement steps of the sound volume is to big, and I'd like to have a smoother controll over increasing the volume.

Basically you can set the volume in 25 steps from 0% to 100% (not only by the remote controller but as well as the + and - media buttons on my keyboard, that's why I suppose that it is a Windows default instead of an attribute of my remote). Certain volume strength values are connected to each step. I would like to have more steps than 25 or at least change the connected values.

I downloaded a program called Power Mixer, which has a utility called Audio Taper Editor. This is for this problem: it shows graphically the steps and the connected volume values; you can add extra steps in between the already existing steps, and set volume values for them. So, it would solve my problem, if it worked. But when I use the menu command "write to registry", nothing changes although a message about the successful writing appears.

Due to this, I suppose that the steps and the values are stored somewhere in the registry but so far I was unable to find them, however, I struggled a whole day.

(Surprisingly when I read back the registry - even after a reboot - the modified values are read in. That shows, that the program definitely works but maybe it writes to the wrong place)

But in the other hand, maybe I am wrong, and this information is not in the registry but somewhere else...

Could anyone help me?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: how to set sound volume increasement steps
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: how to set sound volume increasement steps
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sounds like

Sounds like it's a limitation of the remote control software, and you're what we call "screwed".

You can try some of the alternate remote control software programs out there to see if you can override it, but there's no guarantees. EventGhost is the one that comes to mind. Once upon a time I knew a few others, but it's been a long time.

- Collapse -
I doubt

I doubt, that it is a limitation of the remote control software. That's why I added that the multimedia buttons of my keyboard change the volume the same way! With the same 25 steps and the same value to each step. Due to this, and to the program I found but unfortunately doesn't take any effect I'm almost sure that it is a windows default value that could be overrided, and I suppose it is stored somewhere in the registry, but I don't know, where exactly...

- Collapse -
Re: where in the registry

That's easy - but brute-force - to check. Do it this way:
1. In regedit, export the registry.
2. Change the values whichever way you know to work.
3. Export again to another file.
Now you've got to (big!) text files.
4. Download free Winmerge and install it.
5. Use it to find the differences between these 2 files,

Done. Couldn't be easier, in principle.

Kees

- Collapse -
Another option.

Just a simple calculation (probably too simple) to give you the idea. I assume you've got the usual externally powered speakers connected to the OUT of your sound card.

Say the maximum power of your speaker set is 25 W and it's turned to its maximum. Then each of the 25 ticks is 1 W. Say your preferred power level is 5 W. Then using the remote you can choose 4, 5 or 6. That are steps of 20%, rather big.

Now turn your speaker set back to 5W. You've got to use all 25 ticks of your remote to reach it. One tick less makes it 4.8W. That's a step of 4%. Might be exactly what you want.

So turn down the volume of the speaker set and turn up the volume on the remote to make the changes smaller.

Kees

- Collapse -
Re: Another opinion

Your assumption is wrong unfortunately, because I have a power amp connected to my EMU 1212 soundcard, therefore my soundcard works as a pre-amp, and there is no other opportunity to control the volume level.

But your suggestion would be a hacking solution over the problem, and I want the ultimate one! Happy Your later suggestion below is more promising...

(My own hacking solution: the remote has four programmable buttons. I use two of them to control the winamp own volume slide, which can be set in 100 steps. But this is a real circuitous procedure: I set the (windows) volume with the remote a little over the optimum level, and then I decrease it with the programmed button (in winamp)... not for my taste.)

- Collapse -
I did some searching for you.

download.microsoft.com/download/e/b/a/eba1050f-a31d-436b-9281-92cdfeae4b45/VolTable.docx has the full and definite info for XP SP2 and higher.

All you have to do: change the registry value as you wish. You can change both the number of steps and size of each step. It's fully supported Windows functionality.

Kees

- Collapse -
You found the ultimate solution?

Maybe that's it!

I checked the doc quickly, and recognised, that it is about the topic that my question arose in.

I'm going to read it thoroughly when I arrive home after work. I will let you know the results. Many thanks!

- Collapse -
YOU DID IT! :)

Okay, Kees, you did it! Happy

Here is the regarding paragraph:

--------------

In Windows XP with SP2 or SP3, the registry location of the volume control table is the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\Audio\
VolumeControl key. This key contains two values that are named VolumeTable and EnableVolumeTable:
? VolumeTable is a REG_BINARY value that contains the volume table as a sequence of monotonically increasing 32-bit ULONG values. Each 32-bit value represents a value in the range 0 to 65535.
? EnableVolumeTable is a REG_DWORD value that enables and disables use of the volume table. A value of zero disables table use. A nonzero value enables use of the table.

--------------

It works fine. And guess what, the utility program I mentioned when I descripted my problem above also works! It writes the registry the right way! But there is something it forgets! There is the "EnableVolumeTable" key which enables or disables the VolumeTable (so the overwritten values)! The default value for this key is zero, means disabled! So, when I switched it to "enabled", everything worked immediately.

Now I created a new set of values by doubleing the steps, and I am very happy and satisfied with the result! Thank you for taking the time to help me to get over this!

Regards from Hungary,

Peter

- Collapse -
(NT) Glad I could help. Thanks for telling.

CNET Forums

Forum Info