HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to set access rights for shared folder+domain rights

by Tempik / October 22, 2007 2:27 AM PDT

Hi all
I have a big problem.
I need to share one folder on remote computer eg. Documents.
Let's say that I have 3 groups MEN,WOMEN,ALL(Men+Women)
I will give local security rights(remote comp) for this folder that group ALL will have read access and MEN also write access.
Now, how about to share this folder to be available with given rights on another computers???
When I give read access for this shared folder for ALL, then MEN can't write:-(
I can't add to shared permissions MEN for write access because for some child folders(subfolders-these folders are not shared, only parent) I need only read access for ALL and write access for WOMEN. Also I can't deny write for ALL because DENY is more powerfull than ALLOW, so then when I have one subfolder with read access for ALL(I have to deny write because it is allowed through shared permissions of parent) and also MEN group with write access, MEN are unable to write:-((
Is it possible to apply restrictions with priority? Then it will be easy to set it. But don't know about this oportunity.

In short...I need shared folder Documents to be available for more computers and in this folder more subfolders with given rights for write and read.
Problem is when e.g. ADMINS are also in ALL group, then I am unable to restrict read access for ALL and add write access for ADMINS.

Thanks for any info

Rgds
Tempik

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to set access rights for shared folder+domain rights
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to set access rights for shared folder+domain rights
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
On the server (Windows 2003 or such)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2007 3:18 AM PDT

Make a new group, add these users to that group, etc...

If you don't have a server, it was not clear in your post.

Bob

Collapse -
WIN2003 SERVER
by Tempik / October 22, 2007 6:05 AM PDT

I use WIN2003 server sorry.
But this is not solution. I need read access for ALL and also write for MEN which is part of ALL so when I DENY WRITE for ALL I also DENY WRITE for MEN. So if I create new group, effect will be the same because DENY is more powerful than ALLOW.
And DENY have to be applied because I ALLOWED WRITE for shared parent folder for ALL so I need to redo this access by DENY:-(
If I only allow READ access for shared parent folder for group ALL, then also MEN with write acces for subforder/child will have READ ONLY access:-((
Any solution?
Thanks

Hope that this post was more understandable:-)

Collapse -
I see it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2007 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: WIN2003 SERVER

You need to work through your thoughts on permissions. I'd grab your book from your classes on this and refresh your memory.

Why would I deny "all"?

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.