General discussion

How to send a simple message to an IP Address or MAC Address

I have a need to send a simple text message to a IP Address and/or a MAC Address. Is there any magic out there that does not require any client software on the other end?
Mostly I need to ask who is on the other end within my network.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How to send a simple message to an IP Address or MAC Address
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to send a simple message to an IP Address or MAC Address
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Plenty of code out there but...

If you did send a message, why would the machine at the other end answer? Your project appears doomed.

Bob

- Collapse -
What you really need to know
- Collapse -
net send
- Collapse -
re: How to send a simple message to an IP Address or MAC Add

we have the same concern. I also need to send a message to a mac. ip address but to tell them where to buy wifi credit in order to access the internet. I have a wifi business, PIN code base, users at 500 meters can connect but they can only connect upto the portal where they can enter the wifi credit pid code.

Have you already gotten a software for that? can you share it to me?

- Collapse -
Not possible with today's Windows.

Due to the exploits that were found all unsolicited messages are ignored. You have a good question but you need to catch up on the history a little.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info