Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

How to send a simple message to an IP Address or MAC Address

Nov 28, 2005 1:18PM PST

I have a need to send a simple text message to a IP Address and/or a MAC Address. Is there any magic out there that does not require any client software on the other end?
Mostly I need to ask who is on the other end within my network.

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
Plenty of code out there but...
Nov 28, 2005 2:26PM PST

If you did send a message, why would the machine at the other end answer? Your project appears doomed.

Bob

- Collapse -
What you really need to know
Nov 28, 2005 5:20PM PST
- Collapse -
net send
Dec 6, 2005 6:28AM PST
- Collapse -
re: How to send a simple message to an IP Address or MAC Add
Dec 10, 2012 1:05PM PST

we have the same concern. I also need to send a message to a mac. ip address but to tell them where to buy wifi credit in order to access the internet. I have a wifi business, PIN code base, users at 500 meters can connect but they can only connect upto the portal where they can enter the wifi credit pid code.

Have you already gotten a software for that? can you share it to me?

- Collapse -
Not possible with today's Windows.
Dec 11, 2012 2:50AM PST

Due to the exploits that were found all unsolicited messages are ignored. You have a good question but you need to catch up on the history a little.
Bob