Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

How To Sell a Mac and Accessories?

by DoggoneDeb / September 17, 2005 1:30 AM PDT

We have given using the iBook our best shot but find that it is not the computer for us. We have always worn out our computers so we have never faced selling one before. We went online to a re-seller of Apple hardware and used their estimater of the value they would put on the iBook; in six months it is priced at 50% of the original cost, plus we would have to pay shipping charges to them. And I'm not sure they would want the Extreme and Express base stations. My husband hopes that we could do a little better by selling it ourselves.

My question is two-fold:

1. What happens to software when you sell hardware? For example, will Quickbooks allow the new user to register the software and use it/upgrade it even though we already registered it?

2. Does anyone have any experience selling an Apple? Should we just go with selling the computer at 50% and take all the software and base stations to the dump?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How To Sell a Mac and Accessories?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How To Sell a Mac and Accessories?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Oh No!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 17, 2005 2:33 AM PDT

Sorry to hear that you are not having any success with your Mac. What was the deciding factor that prompted the decision to sell the iBook? Must have been something pretty terrible and something that you were unable to overcome.
What are the details on the iBook? Speed, memory, HD size, "the loaded" stuff?
You would probably be better off selling it on eBay than going with a reseller who will give you 50% of the original price and then offer it for sale at 90% of the price. Your husband is probably correct. You should be able to get much more selling it yourself. If you have a local Mac Users Group, speak with them about it.
On the subject of software, in most cases the software just moves across with the machine. In the case of QuickBooks, which needs to be registered for updates, you can contact them and tell them you are selling the machine and the software. Ask them to remove the registration for it until the next person registers it. Don't expect the inclusion of QuickBooks to increase the value of the machine.
Sell the Extreme Base station and the Express base station, separately. Someone sold you a bill there. With only one machine you did not need anything wireless to connect to the internet.
One other thought to bear in mind. If you buy a new PC, it too, will be totally different to anything you have used before. You will be surprised how much XP looks like OS X. It is also able to run addition software, that your iBook couldn't. Stuff like Virus's, Spyware and Adware.
Let me know the details and I'll see what a good value for that machine is.

P

Collapse -
Before you Sell!
by lampietheclown / September 23, 2005 9:49 AM PDT

Don't just throw your documents / e-mail / whatever into the trash and empty it. I would reformat the disk, and wipe it by writing all zeros.

I can't count the number of used macs friends have brought me to make work, and I find private confidential info from the original owner all over the drive.

One friend sold a really old mac at his garage sale. He told me he got $50 for it. He had ''trashed'' everything on the HD he didn't want to go with the computer. Whoever bought it must have run a disk recovery program on it, (which was probably installed on the machine when he sold it). They got credit card numbers, social security numbers, account numbers, passwords, e-mails, photos, the works. They then proceeded to clean him and his wife out. They were never caught.

If it was EVER on your computer, It may still be there. Don't take a chance!

By the way, that goes for ALL computers, not just macs. People who give away or throw away computers because they don't work anymore are easy targets for this kind of thing. The hard-drive is still in there, with ALL your stuff.

Now that I've scared the bell out of you, (sorry?) I'll change the subject.

I too would like to know, if you could take the time to tell us, what was it about the i-Book that you didn't / like / understand / get to work properly / live up to your expectations?

Lampie

Collapse -
Interested.
by Jaq / September 29, 2005 11:08 PM PDT

Hi.
If you haven't sold your ibook, I would be interested in it.
Thanks
Jaq

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!