Cameras forum

General discussion

How to select a durable and sturdy camera

by divyendu1 / March 25, 2009 7:01 AM PDT

Hi
I would like to purchase a digital camera in below $160 .
I have select few cameras out of them I found Canon A470 good.
earlier I have used two digital camera of HP and Fuji but got very problems in them.
Can you provide me some guidance which model is suitable.
My preference will be +5 M.P. with goo durability and sturdiness.

Also let me know whether the cameras whose lens are in outer shell lie Canon A470 are better and durable or throse whose lens are in same body like Canon Ixus 75 Digital Camera are better.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to select a durable and sturdy camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to select a durable and sturdy camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sturdy Camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 25, 2009 10:00 AM PDT

First lets clear up something.

The Canon ixus 75 (aka SD750) also has a lens that extends from the body when the camera is turned-on.
You are probably thinking of the cameras with an internal lens, such as the Olympus Stylus Tough 6000.

There are a few cameras that are built for extreme environments, such as the Olympus Stylus Tough 6000.
But they will be well above your price range.

Also, I believe any camera with an internal lens system is also above your price range.

The Canon A470 is Canon's entry level camera and gets very good ratings by the reviewers.
It is being replaced by the newer A480.

Some cameras similar to the ixus 75 (aka SD750) can be found in your price range.

If you want a lot of camera for the price, the Canon A590IS is a good choice.
I saw one today in a Staples store for $125.

Details on all the cameras I mentioned can be found at this link:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_a470%2Ccanon_a480%2Ccanon_a590is%2Ccanon_sd750%2Coly_stylustough6000&show=all

Collapse -
selection of camera
by divyendu1 / March 25, 2009 2:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Sturdy Camera

Hi
I would like to know which camera should we prefer.
The one with the internal lens or with the exterior body lens (like in A470)

Collapse -
Lens
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 26, 2009 12:30 AM PDT
In reply to: selection of camera

In theory, there is no difference in picture quality.
I see no advantage of either design.

But in reality, the internal lens camera is more difficult for manufacturing to assemble.
More time and care is required in aligning the lens to the sensor.

That perfect alignment is not always achieved by manufacturing people.
That shows up as the far side of the picture not being in focus.
It can occur on either side (left or right).

I have seen several sample photos where this has occurred, on several different brands/models of cameras.

For a dust-proof, water-proof, or water resistant camera you must use a camera with an internal lens.
Because it is impossible to get a perfect seal against dust and water with a camera that extends the lens externally.

If you want a camera with an internal lens, I recommend you test it immediately after you get it.
Look for any out of focus on the extreme right or left side of the pictures.
If you find any, return the camera to the store right away.

To see the out of focus problem, you have to look at a photo displayed on your computer monitor at full size.
It will be so large that you will have to use the scroll bars to scroll around the picture.
This is commonly called pixel peeping.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?