Computer Help forum

General discussion

how to save videos from DVD camcorder w/o port to PC

I got a Canon DC 100 DVD camcorder. The camcorder does NOT have a port to connect to laptop's IEEE 1394 port. The only option is to insert the DVD-RW mini disc into the computer's DVD R/RW slot. The problem is that I do not know how to save 'finalized' videos into my computer and transfer to Window's movie maker to edit. i could not find any 'save/download' option when i opened/played the video clip using windows media player and media center. I would truly appreciate your help!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to save videos from DVD camcorder w/o port to PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to save videos from DVD camcorder w/o port to PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You should try a demo of...

In reply to: how to save videos from DVD camcorder w/o port to PC

http://www.simplydv.co.uk/Reviews/canon_dc100.html writes "the fact that the resulting MPEG-2 video and audio is much more difficult to edit."

Go get demos from Ulead.com and see if they'll import your DVD content.

Sorry but Window's movie maker is not something I use or go near since it promptly converts what it can into proprietary content that I can't use.

Bob
Collapse -
Hi Bob~response

In reply to: You should try a demo of...

Thank you very much for your prompt response to my problem. I really appreciate your suggestions. I downloaded the free trial of Ulead movie factory 6.0. Unfortunately, it did not allow my video to import to my computer. It just played my video to watch. Although i still did not successfully import my video, I have learned something new about Ulead, which seemed to be better than windows movie maker.

Best regards,
jacky

Collapse -
Other demo.

In reply to: Hi Bob~response

Now try Sony Vegas's demo. If that won't import ask in the Camcorder Forum how to import this one.

From memory it does matter which "mode" you record in. I thing VR mode is or was incompatible with a lot of software.

Bob

Collapse -
Hi Bob!

In reply to: Other demo.

You're right...VR mode can only be played with VR player, and imported & saved with a very professional program. I called the Canon technical support for reassurance. I wonder which program it is. I also tried to change the mode from 'VR mode' to 'video mode' in the camcorder, it has to delete any 'VR mode' records first to switch. I hate my camcorder.

So, I recorded my project again using my old Sony Cyber-shot camera with 'mpeg movie vx' from 4 years ago. I was abled to import my video recordings to Windows Media Center, then to Windows Movie Maker. The Windows movie maker only saves my work design. However, the movie clips cannot be viewed or played when the camera is turned off/not connected to the computer port. The video can only be played without the connection of camera is when saved as finished video. Thus, I have to import my video again to continue my work until I save my work as finished video.

I am on a deadline so I decided to use Windows movie maker due to its simplicity. But, I would definitely download the free trial of Sony Vegas Platinum. Thanks for the tip!

Have an awesome day,
Jacky

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.