General discussion

How to save ink

Some web coupons have background color that uses lots of ink to print. I print in black and white to save on colored ink, but would like to get rid of the background colors - they use my black ink. I tried copy/paste to Word document, and used the "no fill" option, but nothing changes. Thanks in advance for your help.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How to save ink
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to save ink
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Get a laser printer

Get a laser printer. Seriously. They're many hundreds of times more efficient than inkjet printers for routine non-color printouts. The average inkjet cart lasts for what, maybe 100 pages? Most laser printers come with a "starter" toner cart that's good for about 2,000 pages. Replacement carts are good for around 5,000 and they are only about 10USD more than ink refills.

You can often find something like the Samsung ML-2510 for around 50USD. It's a pretty no-frills black and white laser printer, but that sounds perfect for most of your needs. Keep the inkjet for when you need to print something in color, use the laser for everything else.

- Collapse -
What browser are you using?

While I can agree that a laser is a good idea getting a second printer may or may not be economical depending on the amount of actual printing you do, most browsers allow you to turn background image and colors printing on or off.

Internet Explorer has this option activate or disabled by selecting the Tools menu then Internet Options then the Advanced tab. Near the bottom of the list of options is Printing.

Firefox allows you to shoose by selecting the File menu then Page Setup and then unchecking Pring Background (colors and images)/

I don't have Opera but I am certain that background color or image printing is set in the same manner as Firefox.

CNET Forums

Forum Info