Mac OS forum

General discussion

How to run Windows on any Mac

by simoncroft / April 8, 2006 3:01 AM PDT

For those of you who like a practical joke, here's a really simple way to convince people that any Mac is magically running Windows.

First off, on a PC (this is the dirty part of the job) take a screen shot of the desk top, import it into PhotoShop or similar and save as a jpeg. Transfer the file to a Mac and put it in the Desktop pictures folder. Now go into Desktop & Screen saver in Preferences to set up your PC screenshot as a screen saver. Set the time for about 15 minutes.

I did this to a complete newsroom, set up to produce a daily paper for a convention. For the first few hours. everyone was was working too hard for the screensavers to kick in but when they returned from covering stories or grabbing lunch, their machines had changed platforms! As I was doubling up as on-site tech support, I could then make a great show of not knowing what could possibly have happened.

If everyone who is now in on the gag keeps schtum, you can get a new sucker every hour.

A variation on this theme is to set up a screen saver with a shot of the actual desk top, with an open Word file containing a totally libelous story about a key advertiser. 'Microsoft Links to Mafia Proven' is the kind of headline that makes grown publishers faint. Just don't get caught.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to run Windows on any Mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to run Windows on any Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.