Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to run ANY program in a WINDOW?

by provoko / October 24, 2003 2:54 AM PDT

I'm talking about programs that force you to run in a fullscreen mode. How can I run these programs in a window when they have no option to let me?

I heard that there was a pre-existent option in windows that would let you do it. Am I right, and if so how do I use it with programs? Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to run ANY program in a WINDOW?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to run ANY program in a WINDOW?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:How to run ANY program in a WINDOW?
by David Chan / October 24, 2003 3:06 AM PDT

Your question is unclear.
Perhaps if you give the name of the program someone here may have used it and have the answer.

AFAIK, all programs have their own User Interface and each is different from the other so I don't understand what you mean by full-screen Window.

The full screen often refers to I.E. or Windows Explorer which can easily be set.

Collapse -
Re:Re:How to run ANY program in a WINDOW?
by provoko / October 24, 2003 3:32 AM PDT

No one on this forum would know the program, but thanks anyways.

By the way you do know what I mean by full screen when you give an example of IE in full screen.

But like I said before, I'm talking about programs that only run in fullscreen and give no option to run in a window, so that excludes IE. I'm not trying to run a guessing game here, I just want to know how to run any program in a window when the program gives no option to do so.

Collapse -
Guessing game it seems?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2003 3:41 AM PDT

Don't sell the forum short. Toss out a name and if there is a web link, try that.

You are part of the solution.

Bob

Collapse -
Fine. =)
by provoko / October 24, 2003 3:53 AM PDT

The program is MUONLINE. But that doesn't matter.

Isn't there something called windowmode in windows xp?

Collapse -
What does...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2003 5:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Fine. =)

askzen@webzen.co.kr have to say about this?

I do know that some programs on my old NT 4.0 box inadvertantly ran in a window while they were not supposed to. Have an old NT 4.0 box to try?

If there is a

Collapse -
Thanks but..
by provoko / October 24, 2003 6:04 AM PDT
In reply to: What does...

Thanks for the e-mail but they won't help. They would consider my question offensive. The program is meant to run full-screen to prevent hacks (news flash, that doesn't prevent hacks). BUT what that also does is prevent me from switching tasks. That means I can't run muonline and use forums to trade items in the game at the same time. It's like I'm in DOS all over again! Haha.

Anyways, I don't have NT 4. By the way, finish what you were typing. I see that you were cut off at

Collapse -
Then it's their choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2003 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks but..

I agree that anti-hacks are a good idea in games.

It's their choice.

As to the cut-off of text, this forum software is new and full of bugs.

Bob

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2003 3:13 AM PDT

I have forced the issue with more hardware. Another machine on the network run the Terminal Services and then having a Terminal Server ''window'' open to said machine.

Not the answer you suspected, but it has been forced.

You and also find a forceful method by running Windows on an Apple with its Virtual PC software.

There are ways, but you didn't give any constraints so I offer solutions with no bounds.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:How to run ANY program in a WINDOW?
by provoko / October 24, 2003 3:34 AM PDT

Heh, I don't have those means. Thanks anyways.

Collapse -
by Sageth / October 24, 2003 9:32 AM PDT

If this is a program that can be run off the command-line (in a window formerly known as DOS), you can press ALT+Enter to switch between windows and full-screen. You can also use the properties of that box to change the window size.

Collapse -
windows command line tags?
by lvl20 / January 25, 2006 11:14 PM PST

on many programs (especially games) i've noticed that adding the -w tag to the end of the command line works to force it into windowed mode. it doesn't seem to work for everything though. i'm trying to find more info on what universal tags windows accepts.
i'll repost if i have some better info later.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.