Desktops forum

Resolved Question

How to run a Princepton VL173 monitor on a Dell Optiplex755

by dualcg / February 23, 2014 10:49 AM PST

I have a Dell Optiplex 755 desktop running Win 7 Pro. I want to use my Princeton VL173 17 inch monitor. When I attach it and turn on the computer I get a message "Oversize. Set resolution to 1280 X 1024." After that the screen goes black.
I found that I can run the monitor if I use safe mode. I have tried setting the resolution by doing that, but as soon as I reboot the problem is still there.
Any ideas are welcome

dualcg has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to run a Princepton VL173 monitor on a Dell Optiplex755
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to run a Princepton VL173 monitor on a Dell Optiplex755
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by dualcg

Collapse -
Varying setups
by Willy / February 24, 2014 2:55 AM PST

Sometimes, when you try to setup some older devices to newer OS or PC, it may not be a perfect match. the typical native setup the monitor wants to run what the video source may consider its own native default. You neeed to find the match and then save and exit to apply or apply beforehand. If won't save or continues to error then you have mismatch conflict where the basic h/w won't interface on a friendly level.

Native Resolution 1280 x 1024 at 75.0 Hz (from specs)

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/princeton-vl173-lcd-monitor/4507-3174_7-30910176.html

The above is native and i suspect the resolution is normal, but the 75Hz. isn't typical for your video source. You may need to get another video card, probably a better updated one that allows 75Hz. While not normal;y provided some monitors have "driver setups" which help settle some issues. Check to see if yours provides one. Also, while you PC may acknowledge the monitor as some model#, that setup s/w from the vendor while minor helps more than hinders.

If too old, then maybe the source of a bad setup, a good match can't be had.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thanks for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2014 2:59 AM PST
In reply to: Varying setups

I neglected to mention something else I encounter with aging devices. Thist appears to be a decade old display and as it ages it may lose it's higher capabilities. 75 Hz may not work but 60 will. Try lower settings such as 800x600 60Hz and work your way up.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks to all
by dualcg / February 24, 2014 6:00 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for that.

Thanks to all of you for your much appreciated advise and suggestions. This morning I got out my info that came with the monitor and studied it more carefully. Down in one corner of a pager I found the resolution should be set at 1280 X 1024 AT 60 HERTZ. I hadn't seen that before. Next question was how to set it so it would stay. I tried going in via the control panel.
To do this I turned off the computer. Attached the 17 inch monitor, and then restarted in safe mode. I safe mode I had the monitor. I then went to control panel and looked for monitor settings. Found it and was able to set 1280 X 1024 60Hz . I saved that, closed control panel, and was please to see a good display. I then rebooted while holding my breath. It worked! Everything is now great.
Again thank you all for your help.

Collapse -
Hopefully you'll read this too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2014 11:48 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks to all
Collapse -
Answer
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2014 11:32 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.