HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

How to run a MAC and a PC off the same monitor

by cpcadm / October 22, 2007 7:46 AM PDT

Is it possible to have both a mac and a pc run on the same monitor. i have a dell which i use mostly for graphics and word processing, am planning on getting a mac for graphics only and using the dell for word processing and little side jobs...space is a problem so i am wondering if instead of having two separate monitors i can have one monitor for both systems...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to run a MAC and a PC off the same monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to run a MAC and a PC off the same monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Use A KVM Switch And You Might Need..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 23, 2007 6:21 AM PDT

.. a MAC to VGA adapater for the MAC side.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
thanks for response
by cpcadm / October 23, 2007 7:19 AM PDT

thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

Collapse -
What if I want to use my iMac monitor
by tourist97 / October 26, 2007 1:11 PM PDT

In your answer, can we assume that it is the Mac's monitor that will be used as the single monitor. I have an iMac and a Dell and would like to eliminate the Dell's monitor. The Dell is running Win98(first edition) and the iMac is running OS X (10.4.10). Could this be done with the KVM switch? What about screen resolution? Could each computer have it's own screen resolution on the iMac?

Collapse -
It Shouldn't Matter
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 26, 2007 1:46 PM PDT

The important part will be getting the appropriate adapters for your monitor cables.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I've been using a single monitor for Macs and Wintel/(IBM's)
by Charles F Adams / October 26, 2007 1:20 PM PDT

You can buy an (expensive) switch that can toggle between the two monitors, but perbaps a better cheaper way involves a creative solution that I have also used for years: Rotate both you Mac and Dell 90 degrees so it's easy to plug and unplug the 15-pin monitor cable on both computers -- both now use the same type of monitors. Just make sure that the DVD/CD-ROM drive trays can still operate.

Collapse -
A bit more information....
by forkboy1965 / October 27, 2007 2:58 AM PDT

Actually you may already have a built-in solution to your problem and not even know it. But first let's look over your situation a bit more closely as you haven't necessarily provided us with all the necessary information by which to provide you the best answer.

I'll put forth a scenario that may apply to your given situation. However, if it doesn't there is nothing stopping you from purchasing the necessary monitor, etc.

If you have a much more recent monitor (LCD type purchased within the past 3-years or so) it may have as inputs both the old standard VGA and the more recent DVI styles. If your Dell outputs video in VGA you may then connect the Dell to said monitor via the VGA cable. If you are purchasing a Mac Mini or the Power Mac you can output video from them via DVI to the DVI input on said monitor. The Mac Mini only outputs video via DVI (but does come with a VGA adapter) and while I cannot speak for the Power Mac I will guess that it outputs in both VGA and DVI.

Your monitor, since it can handle either input, should have a switch (a single switch or an option within its menu system) whereby you can switch back and forth between the two input types. Even if the ability to switch is buried inside the menu options it's still relatively quick and you don't need to buy anything else (like a KVM switch, which I believe start around $50).

So you see, you may already have everything you need to do exactly what you wish. If, however, you do not have a more modern monitor with this dual-input option then this would be a great time to modernize your monitor with a larger LCD type. Granted, spending $200-$300 for a new monitor is more expensive than a KVM switch, but you will certainly appreciate the increased real estate you gain back on your desk and equally appreciate the incredible workspace you find on a 19, 20, 22-inch or larger LCD monitor.

Collapse -
How to run a Mac and a PC off the same monitor.
by jimzim27140 / October 28, 2007 12:55 AM PDT

If you are buying a new MAC why don't you run Windows on your MAC through Parallels or Boot Camp. Donate the Dell to Goodwill and do all of your stuff on the MAC. The new 24" inch IMACS have a screen large enough you can share the window with both systems through Parallels. Of course if you are like me, I made the switch to Macs a year ago and find myself only booting Windows to play solitaire occasionally

Collapse -
Remote desktop
by alexterryuk / January 30, 2011 5:22 AM PST

Hi,

If you have PRO edition you could try remote desktop...

If you need a high frame rate that might not workout for you though.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.