Computer Help forum

General discussion

How to retrieve backup information from disk

Before my computer crashed, I had backed up everything, including tax records, How do I retrieve desired information without also retrieving unwanted information or settings? I'm not too familiar with the meanings of initials, so, thanks for using whole words to describe objects and actions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to retrieve backup information from disk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to retrieve backup information from disk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) First we need to know how the backup was done

In reply to: How to retrieve backup information from disk

Collapse -
Backup method

In reply to: (NT) First we need to know how the backup was done

Thanks for such a quick response! The backup was done by a "Signature Mini (F)" and then transferred to a disk. I'm concerned that the backup might contain some of the material that could have caused the original crash

Collapse -
Is this the drive you backed up to?

In reply to: Backup method

Collapse -
SimpleTech a fabrik company 160 GB

In reply to: Is this the drive you backed up to?

I couldn't open the file. The message, when I used any of the words, plus*, as instructed, was that nothing could be found. How would I 'browse' this disk? My computer knowledge is rather basic, but, I'm more than willing to learn.
Thanks, so much!

Collapse -
According to the manual ...

In reply to: Backup method

available here:
http://www.simpletech.com/support/guides/user-guides/60000-00168-001.pdf

It says -
Viewing files in Windows
To access data on the drive, open My Computer.
Then, click on the Signature Mini USB 2.0 Portable Drive disk icon.

It also says -
SimpleTech provides customer support for the duration of the warranty period on this product, Monday
through Friday from 6:30 am until 5:30 pm Pacific Standard Time. Contact us:
Phone: 1-800-945-3444 or 949-477-7700
Web: Go to www.simpletech.com/support, click on ?Technical Support/RMA Request?,
then choose ?Need Technical Support.?
Manufacturer Warranty:
Signature Mini USB 2.0 Portable Drive has a three year warranty from the date of the purchase. Full details
available online at www.simpletech.com/support

Now, you say "The backup was done by a "Signature Mini (F)" and then transferred to a disk." - do you mean that the backup file(s) are no longer on the Signature Mini?

The backup software may only look for files on that specific drive that it backed up to. Why don't you share exactly what happens after you open the backup app and select to restore - What is "instructing" you to use the words plus*?

Collapse -
Signature Mini F

In reply to: According to the manual ...

It will take a while for me to follow your suggestions. However, I did call the service number, immediately after the crash. I was told that they didn't know how to find my backup information and that wasn't their job. I also called Qwest and asked other knowledgeable persons. No one knew. That's why I contacted CNET. I will start from the beginning, as you suggested, but, it may take a day or so. I'll contact you, when there are some results. Thanks for being there!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.