HolidayBuyer's Guide

Office & Productivity Software forum

Question

How to resolve a #VALUE error in Excel 2010

by CNN80 / May 11, 2016 7:19 AM PDT

I typed the formula below in one of my excel worksheets and it worked great. I dragged it across, no problem. But when I try to copy it to another cell, I get an error. If I insert a new row below the row where I typed the formula all the cells above change into the #VALUE error. Please help.

=SUM(SUMIFS('File PathSummary'!D:D,'File PathSummary'!$C:$C,{131,132,133,138}))

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to resolve a #VALUE error in Excel 2010
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to resolve a #VALUE error in Excel 2010
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: error in Excel
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 11, 2016 7:45 AM PDT

I'm afraid it is impossible to tell without seeing the context, that is the whole spreadsheet and the data in it.

Collapse -
Confidential
by CNN80 / May 11, 2016 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: error in Excel

The source or the destination spreadsheet? I can upload the destination spreadsheet but the source spreadsheet is confidential. It contains the list of money assigned to different projects. The projects are grouped by code (120, 121, 122, 130, 131, 132,.....). I was told to create a spread sheet separating them, ie 120, 121, 122 etc grouped together and 130, 131, 132 etc grouped together.
Since I have multiple files (from different depts), I figured using the SUM and SUMIFS function will be easier. I can then copy down and change the source file in the formula for each row.

I hope this helps.

Collapse -
Small update
by CNN80 / May 12, 2016 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: error in Excel

I just noticed that when the file in the file path is open, the formula works just fine. I can copy it, drag it, edit it.

But once I close it, any editing results in the #VALUE error.

Collapse -
Re: #VALUE
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 14, 2016 6:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Small update
Collapse -
Answer
Evaluate Formula Wizard
by albertjohny / May 14, 2016 2:49 AM PDT

If your formula is throwing a #VALUE! error, but you don't know where it is, you can use the Evaluate Formula Wizard. Select the cell with the error and goto Formulas > Evaluate Formula.

Collapse -
Answer
Solution for #value Error
by Ashley_Molly / June 9, 2016 1:02 AM PDT

You can follow these tips i think its beneficial for you.
1. Sometimes cells look blank, when in fact they may have hidden spaces. 2.Double-click a cell that your formula is referencing (or press F2), and check for spaces. ...
3.Tip: Use Auto Filter to mass delete blank cells. ...
Replace the #VALUE! error with something else.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.