HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to Reset Real Player File(.rm) to Open....

by tobeach / October 16, 2007 5:24 PM PDT

with my Media Player Classic NOT with Adobe Reader as is now???

Hope this is right forum or can post to Audio/Video if better.

I un-installed my Alt.Real Player & K-lite (full) codec w/ Media Player Classic to install newer codecs & updated Media Player.

Somehow during this, Adobe Reader got in on the deal and reset the files to open w/Adobe (which can't play as unsupported file type).

I have done the Properties>open with>browse to Media Player Classic>select>apply>OK. The file extension shows .RM but if I double click Adobe pops-up.
If I right click and select Open w/MPC, Adobe pops up! I note the "always open with this program" box is checked & grayed out so unable to change.
I did get the file "Icon" to change from Adobes to the MPC Icon but Adobe still thinks it owns it.

How can I get Adobe out of this & get XP to recognize that MPC should open these??
Thank for your guidance on this!! Sandy ConfusedHappy

System info in profile. XPpro SP1 w/ picked patches, Adobe Reader 6,usual asst'd Anti-malwares. Machine scans clean on all scanners.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to Reset Real Player File(.rm) to Open....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to Reset Real Player File(.rm) to Open....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I Solved Problem!! For Others Here's How....
by tobeach / October 16, 2007 6:23 PM PDT

Took a chance on Sys Restore back to just before screw-up
install (always create b-4 doing such!).

This restored the .RM files to the Real Player Icons & restored the file associations to the Media Player Classic (OLD).

I then went to the CP>Add/Delete Programs to un-install the (old)
K-Lite 280 package. Surprise! Couldn't un-install as "doesn't exist"??!!
Then went to My Docs & found saved (old) K-lite 280 (always save last version of anything you have installed!!) and installed it just so I could then un-install it! Worked out fine.

After un-installing 280, went back to My Docs and found & ran install of new K-lite 350 with updated(security fix) MPC. Used default install. Went fine! Tested ...all ok.. so created new post install Sys Restore point & the story comes to a happy ending!! Grin Thanks for reading my plight!! Sandy.

Collapse -
Yes that is useful,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 16, 2007 6:34 PM PDT

although it doesn't explain why Adobe became the default player instead of WMP Classic, nor why the "Always use this type" option was grayed out.

I might have tried a different way, in desperation. I might have uninstalled Adobe in the hope that this would re-set the association to a generic one from where the "Always use" option was available.

No doubt this would have failed miserably, and I would have been left with an even greater mess! Happy

But working out that the K-Lite Codec pack was probably at fault was a good move.

Like you I keep all my downloaded installation files safe, in case I ever need them again.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.