Mac OS forum

General discussion

How to reset path after folder rename?

Is there a good way to reset the path to a renamed folder in OS X (Leopard) Applications? The first time I tried it so many apps lost their way I had to give up.
Incidentally, when I tried a search (using a Mac-oriented website's proprietary google-search) with the words "reset path after folder rename" I was told I might be a virus and not allowed to continue...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to reset path after folder rename?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to reset path after folder rename?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a guess, but

In reply to: How to reset path after folder rename?

you renamed a folder that an application that you run on your computer uses in some way.
Correct so far?

Launch the application and when it asks where the folder is, tell it.
or
Launch the application and in its preferences, tell it where the folder is.

I do love these guessing games, I wonder why you did not feel it necessary to tell us what application you are having problems with.

P

Collapse -
Many, many applications

In reply to: Just a guess, but

Many, many applications reside in the folder I want to rename, as well as in its sub-folders. That's why I didn't enumerate them and that's why I asked the question. Sure, I can individually 'tell' each application where the 'new' folder is, and that may well be what I have to do in the end, but I was hoping for a more all-encompassing and less time-consuming solution (e.g. perhaps like the batch renaming of files.) Sorry for the confusion.

Collapse -
Renaming

In reply to: Many, many applications

I may be a little dense this morning but, why did you feel it necessary to rename a folder that contains many, many applications.
Your original request was because Applications "lost their way". Not sure I buy that. Applications will launch correctly, no matter what the name of the folder that they are contained in.
For instance, if I change the name of my Applications folder to "A place to stick stuff in", the applications inside of that folder will continue to work correctly when I double click them.

That said, I can only guess that you are now having a problem with the alias(s) of each of those programs and of the alias(s) in the dock.
Normally, an alias will keep track of where its original is, even if it is moved to another folder or if the folder that it is contained in has its name changed.
However, this will not usually happen if the original is moved to another drive.

If you would, explain what is happening, (did happen). Is it an alias problem.

P

Collapse -
Much appreciated--more detail

In reply to: Renaming

First of all, mrmacfixit, I want to thank you for the interest you're taking in my dilemma. That said, I'd better go into detail. In my Applications folder I have a folder named "Third Party," which puts it toward the end of the list. (Third Party contains several sub-folders as well.) When I renamed it "3rd Party" in order to get it to the top is when 'all hell' broke loose. While I don't pretend to understand exactly what went wrong, I do know that many (all?) third-party apps in Login Items "lost their way." In retrospect it seems others did too, but I could be wrong about that. At the time I chalked it up to my own ignorance and brought back my SuperDuper! backup. The time has now come to try again, but this time I don't want to mess up as badly and so tried to educate myself. When in the course of my search I was told I might be a virus(...) I decided I'd better ask for help directly. And, the reason I thought nothing of renaming it in the first place is indeed because I 'knew' that "For instance, if I change the name of my Applications folder to "A place to stick stuff in", the applications inside of that folder will continue to work correctly when I double click them."

Collapse -
You must have a load of stuff in your Login Items!

In reply to: Much appreciated--more detail

To have that many you must be chewing up a ton of memory and processor cycles just by having the machine turned on.
However, if that is what you feel you need.

I have checked and do not see any "really easy" was to change the paths for the login items if you change their actual locations.

If you go to System Preferences, Accounts, Login Items, it is possible to Right Click each of the items and choose "Reveal in Finder"
If the App fails to find the original, after you rename the folder again, then you know that you have to reallocate it to the Login Items list.
No the best solution but let's see why you created the problem in the first place.

Making a folder appear at the top of a list does nothing to make it launch faster, earlier or more economically than if the folder is at the bottom of the list.

There are a couple of ways to make a folder appear at the, Alphabetical, top of a list.
1. Give it a name that starts with A
2. Ditto, a number
3. Put a Tilde ~ before the name
or Not alphabetically,
sort the list in Ascending order.

If you want the thing towards the top for ease of access, why not just drag the folder to the sidebar and it will appear there whenever you have ANY Finder window open. The dock is a good place too.

As for the virus theory, Yeah, RIght! Who told you that?

P

Collapse -
I'm a mouser!

In reply to: You must have a load of stuff in your Login Items!

Lol, so true, top or bottom of the list makes no difference to the functionality of the folder. But in Leopard (as opposed to in Tiger) it makes a difference to my mouse-hand. In Leopard I have to hover the mouse over the bottom triangle to scroll down the list whereas clicking on it makes the list disappear. (As you can tell I'm making a lot of assumptions about the setup here.) I suppose I could always click on Show in Finder after a control-click to get it to behave like in Tiger, but then I'd have to remember! I do go back and forth between the two OS's a lot on different computers (and [left-]click on Applications in the dock for speed.) In theory, dragging the folder to the sidebar is a good idea, but any open Finder windows tend to get hidden by browser windows... Keeping it in the dock *is* a good idea--now, let's see what I can remove from the dock to make my life simpler <g>

Anyway, thank you for the pointers on how to deal with the Login Items. Too bad it still has to be on a one-by-one basis. I don't suppose 14 of them is a whole lot, but having 14 orphans clamoring for your attention all at once sure *seemed* like a lot at the time. (Actually, now that I've looked, some of those are Apple's, and Microsoft's, so it must have been even fewer than that.)

As for being accused of being like a virus with my query, well, this was the response from the Google Custom Search at Macworld:
"We're sorry...
... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now."
Ahem. And to think I never even *had* a virus in Windows!

Collapse -
You misunderstood the response from MacWorld,

In reply to: I'm a mouser!

if you go back and read their response again, you will see that the virus they are referring to is YOU.

Their server saw your request for information as being similar to an automated request from a virus. A Denial of Service attack uses a a program to automatically ask a particular server a question.
Hundreds of those programs ask the same server questions at such a fast rate that the server collapses under the strain.

So, in essence, MacWorld's servers saw YOU as the threat. Their answer was nothing to do with your question. NO Virus, you just looked like one! Happy

On the dock subject, the dock will expand, contract, depending on how many items there are in it. Don't forget, it can be made smaller so that it can accommodate more items. I currently have 78 items in my dock. I just made it smaller and turned the magnification down a little.

14 startup items seems to be a little excessive, I have 5, but each to his own. Microsoft!!

Hidden windows? That's what Expose?is for.

P

Collapse -
Yup

In reply to: You misunderstood the response from MacWorld,

You're right, it's me, not my query... What have I done/not done to deserve that? (A bit off topic, but I really did think it was how I'd worded my question, not "me," as in my browser or whatever.)

Wow, with 78 icons in the dock, you might want to take a look at RapidoStart (app4mac--free.)

Oh yes, M$!! And some AV too (ClamXav and its Sentry) because I 'communicate' with Windows a lot and don't need to transfer bad stuff, or even DS_Store files and resource forks (using BlueHarvest.)

Expose? = extra mouse-click(s). Or am I missing something?

Collapse -
Now it's my turn to miss something

In reply to: Yup

I was referring to YOU as an encompassing description of anything that came out of your computer and went toward the web.
I was not a slight on YOU personally, sorry if you took it that way.

Expose=1 click or key press.

RapidoStart = extra mouse-clicks. Or am I missing something.

There is plenty of room in the dock and as the apps are grouped as I want them to be, launching is just one click away.

Happy

P

Collapse -
Nope

In reply to: Now it's my turn to miss something

No, I didn't take it personally, but I am wondering what I did, with my Firefox browser or with something else, for them to see me as a threat.

Your eyesight must be a whole lot better than mine! I still say, wow, 78 icons in the dock! (Incidentally, I'd love to see a picture of your dock--mine only has 18 items in it, and even some of those I could probably move.) But you're right, RapidoStart does require an extra mouse-click or two, which I why I only keep 'stuff' in there I don't use very often.

My 3rd Party folder is now in place, and so far I've learned a couple of things. Clicking on Reveal in Finder when an entry has Unknown next to it in Login Items will log you out. Better to reallocate all the Unknowns right off the bat. What's nice is how you can then select and remove all of the Unknowns in one go. Little Snitch has "repair path" functionality. Nice! And the most obvious one, of course, is that I should go look for problems right away when I change something... And restart... Not having restarted right away after the first attempt at renaming the folder probably added to my confusion. Oh, and there were other places than Login Items where application paths got in trouble from the rename, Little Snitch being one of them, and Firefox Add-ons another.

Thanks for your help!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.