HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to replace or repair damaged activeX object?

by Walt H / November 5, 2004 8:49 AM PST

Under...Tools>Internet Options...Under the Temporary Internet Files section click on Settings then click View Objects. I have one listed as {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} and states it is damaged. How can I replace or repair it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to replace or repair damaged activeX object?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to replace or repair damaged activeX object?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How to replace or repair damaged activeX object?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 5, 2004 8:50 AM PST

Delete it.

If you visit a web site that needs it, it will be re-downloaded.

Mark

Collapse -
by Walt H / November 5, 2004 9:22 AM PST

I'm using ZoneAlarm Pro as my firewall. Will ZA Pro ALLOW that activeX to get through to be re-downloaded?

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 5, 2004 9:46 AM PST

Walt, I have had the same thing for a couple of months at least myself but it hasn't affected anything. That the same number as the control that is damaged on mine. I may be wrong but what I think it is is the old version of Windows Update that was replaced right before SP2 came out when they had everyone download the new Windows Update Software. If you highlight it and click on file/properties you'll see what I'm talking about. I never did anything about it because it doesn't appear to be affecting anything. I am almost positive that was the day it got damaged. Windows Update still works fine for me so I'm not going to worry about it myself unless someone else tells me that I should worry about it or delete it or repair it. Until then, I plan on leaving it alone.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 5, 2004 10:27 AM PST

Walt and Mark
I just did some more checking on this and I was right, it IS the old version 4 of Windows Update. Walt you should have v5 anyway so you can delete it and like Mark said, even if you don't have v5, Windows Update will automatically download it the next time you visit when it detects it not being there. I delelted the damaged v4 and went to Windows Update just now and everything worked fine.

Collapse -
by Walt H / November 5, 2004 10:36 AM PST

I deleted it also. I too went to Windows Update and even downloaded and installed the latest fix for SP2 but I don't see the object back in place.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 5, 2004 10:52 AM PST

That's because you have v5 in there now. v4 is no longer necessary. Microsoft should have uninstalled v4 when they installed v5 but , in reality all they did was damage it. We should never need it again. I would imagine that there are millions running around with it damaged but don't know it because it's not a place where most people visit in their computers.LOL

Collapse -
by Walt H / November 5, 2004 11:19 AM PST

Thanks again.

Collapse -
You're welcome and
by roddy32 / November 5, 2004 11:31 AM PST

thank you also Walt and Mark. I've been wanting to straighten this problem out myself too but I had forgotten about it until you asked your question Walt.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.