Android forum

How to repair my Samsung Galaxy S2? I'm desperate.

by Agoramaha / November 26, 2014 9:04 PM PST

I really need my phone to work since I can't afford a new one. It's only year and a half old.

I have:
Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 running on Android 4.1.2.
My laptop is running Windows 7 and I have WMP 12. Kies is installed on my computer.

The only apps I use on my phone are Chrome, Maps for GPS and occasionally Skype. Apart from these I only have apps that came with my phone.

Before the chaos started I noticed that the Voice control would sometimes pop up for no reason when I pressed Home button. I tried in vain to get rid of it. It disappeared after the factory reset.

I noticed that my GPS was slow while my Internet connection was unbearably slow. I would use it just to check my mail via Chrome.

A month after my guarantee expired I started having serious problems :
- disconnected from a USB cable or charger it would still show that is connected and beep all the time
- my phone wouldn't charge from time to time and I never knew why. Sometimes it would charge in the car/via PC/on the charger, sometimes not.
- PC stopped recognizing it altogether. Not even as an unknown device, as if the phone hadn't been connected via USB
- battery started draining fast, when it emptied the phone wouldn't charge at all
(I borrowed my husband's battery and the phone would boot up, after that my husband started having problems with his own battery, as it would drain in a matter of hours, it usually lasted for two days... I have no idea if this is relevant)

I changed the USB connector and bought a new battery. Things seemed to be better when it came to charging and PC recognition, but all of a sudden a new symptom appeared:
- the quality of the network connection lowered and I started losing the connection very often! I couldn't receive/make calls send texts etc. and then it would all get back to normal.
- the screen would turn on for no reason and stay on
I did a factory reset and nothing improved. It got worse:
- the phone stopped charging ( I did all the tricks battery out, battery in etc.)
- it often got stuck in the Factory mode (little green man + Downloading! Do not turn off target!!) and wouldn't turn until it got stuck permanently
I sent it to the shop; they said it was a software issue and that they would do a reset. They didn't leave a good impression on me, so I took the phone home.

I put another battery and the phone booted and it continued working once I put its own battery.
Now it has the following symptoms:
- often loses the network connection (there is sometimes "emergency calls only")
-battery drains fast
-won't charge with the charger
- it occasionally charges via PC
- PC recognizes it as a generic "composite device" (it used to really see it as the Samsung phone, or at least recognized the modem and USB)
- phone doesn't even see the USB connection (I cannot change the MTP to PTP and vice versa, because the phone doesn't think it's connected, but charges anyway)

* yesterday it did see the connection and I could switch to PTP install driver and then switch back to MTP with my PC recognizing the phone

I'm at my wits end. I tried rooting it, but ADB won't recognize the device. Debugger mode would switch off by itself after a reboot. (which always involves being stuck for a while in the Factory mode, now I'm scared to reboot since I don't know if I would be able to get out of that mode again).

When it's stuck in the Factory mode, Volume Up + Power (+Home) don't do anything and I can't do a hard reset.
What bothers me is that there are no rules sometimes it works but more often it doesn't.

I read/heard people mentioning that:
- my "battery driver" in the phone is not right, confusing everything.
- that I need to do a restart from my PC, that somehow it's better than the actory or hard reset (I'd love to this but haven't found out how)

Please help... I don't know what to do... I've tried all the
simple solutions (different computers, different cables, reinstallation etc.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to repair my Samsung Galaxy S2? I'm desperate.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to repair my Samsung Galaxy S2? I'm desperate.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Since a new one is pricey.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2014 1:14 AM PST looks to be 80 bucks and the usual icracked work is about 99 bucks. My son went with ting and so far, so good.

Cell phones are rarely repaired. Just read the forums such as here and Howard's Forums. Lots of folk flaming others over "you're not helping." Seems to go with the territory.
Collapse -
Thank you!
by Agoramaha / November 27, 2014 3:33 AM PST

I live in France and even used smartphones tend to be pricey. If everything else fails, I guess I'll have to give in and buy a phone.
Right now, my phone is connected and recognized by PC and charging... it looks normal.
I started wondering if it could be again the problem with the USB charging port.
Maybe I should downgrade it to Android 4.0? Who knows...
Thank you again Happy

Collapse -
While I have rooted phones
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2014 4:06 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you!
Collapse -
I couldn't agree more
by Agoramaha / November 27, 2014 6:23 PM PST

USB connector may have been the suorce of all of my problems.
I needed to replace it and after having changed it I started experiecing severe problems with my signal strength. That's when even my new battery started draining fast; searching for signal takes up a lot of energy.
Anyway, it appears that not all USB connectors (even when they are for Samsung Galaxy SII) are the same. The newer versions may require a transistor to be de-soldered. I found a great advice on another forum (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link).
Anyway, whenever buying a new USB connector pay attention to the number and placement of transistors.
I'll open my phone later and see if I need to de-solder one.

For now, my battery is at 95% after 2 hours. I haven't used it much. No calls, no SMS, no internet. I've just disabled a coupel of apps I never use.
I had problems with the signal, lingering on 1 bar. Now it's on 3.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?