General discussion

How to Repair Corrupted SQL Server Backup File?

My sql server backup database file has got damaged, please recommend any solution.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How to Repair Corrupted SQL Server Backup File?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to Repair Corrupted SQL Server Backup File?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: corrupt backup file
- Collapse -

the link that u have provided didn't worked. My sql server 2012 database has been deleted by mistakenly so I already had took its backup, but when tried to access backup file its also showing error.

- Collapse -
RE: backup file

Sorry, there was an error in the link. The one below works.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sql+server+corrupt+backup+file

It's best to search google with the most specific error message that is available. Just "damaged" and "corrupt" are too vague. Also, when asking in a forum, provide all relevant details, like what the type of the backup file is, what you did to restore it and what happened.

For example, both a copy of the existing database made in Windows Explorer (or with robocopy or syncback or such a tool) to your backup device (like an external hard disk) and an export from SQL Server Management Studio can be called a backup, but these are totally different things that need totally different ways to restore.

Kees

- Collapse -

What is the error message?

You may try DBCC CheckDB with parameters REPAIR_REBUILD or REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS to try to fix the corruption of your database.

If DBCC CheckDB cannot help to solve the problem, then you can try third-party tools. The one I have used in the past successfully is DataNumen SQL Recovery at http://www.datanumen.com/sql-recovery/

Hope this helps

CNET Forums