Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

How To forum

Question

How to rename Portable Device from My Computer?

by ASC92 / October 20, 2011 1:37 AM PDT

When i connect my Iphone to my Laptop, it shows me my Sister's Iphone name under My Computer under Portable Device but in ITunes it shows my name.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to rename Portable Device from My Computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to rename Portable Device from My Computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
How to rename portavle device from My Computer
by bobndoug / October 20, 2011 4:36 AM PDT

Right-click on the device in "My Computer" and select Properties at the bottom of the list.
On the General tab is the name of the device. Rename it, click Apply, then OK

Collapse -
does not work
by sohoslut / November 24, 2011 7:00 AM PST

Tried this but I cannot change the name it highlight but will not allow me to change a name still got anoher persons name on my computer device

Collapse -
Answer
Change it in the registry.
by golfoholic / October 20, 2011 11:21 AM PDT

Had the same problem. Went to regedit and did a search for the wrong name "Phyllis" from pc saying it was Phyllis's phone. There were four places in the registry that I had to change to my name.

Collapse -
Any chance of someone explaining how to change it in the reg
by baker_girl / October 23, 2011 3:26 PM PDT

Is someone able to explain how to alter the name in the registry??

I'm having the same problem with my phone but hesitant to change anything as I don't want to alter something that will make Husband's phone no longer work. Whenever I plug my iPhone in the PC is reading his phone under My Computer.

Collapse -
How to rename Portable Device from My Computer

regedit:

Navigate to: Computer\HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\VID_05AC&PID_1297&MI_00\0\Device Parameters

Update Keys:
"FriendlyName" from "Wife's iPhone" to "My iPhone"
"Label" from "Wife's iPhone" to "My iPhone"

Collapse -
great tips
by morning_goldenstar / January 23, 2012 10:51 AM PST

I changed mine successfully. thanks.

Collapse -
great tips
by morning_goldenstar / January 23, 2012 10:52 AM PST

I changed mine successfully. thanks

Collapse -
Idiots guide needed
by SennenLongships / March 13, 2012 3:40 AM PDT
Blush Hi
As I don't know where to start with the above instructions I would appreciate an idiots guide i.e how do I navigate to the location you specify to be able to update keys and change name of phone.

I'm sorry if this seems like a dumb question.

I'm running windows 7. iPhone 4 on Ios 5

Thanks in anticipation
Collapse -
Really useful tip
by Stuart_Ratzakli / March 14, 2012 8:47 AM PDT

Thanks

Stuart Grin

Collapse -
Great posting
by doneesap / June 5, 2012 8:43 PM PDT

this is very usefull.. I change it in different Computer\HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\** parameter

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks, worked great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by innerjon / August 26, 2012 7:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
What are the four registrys?
by padilla14 / October 23, 2011 3:46 PM PDT

I can't even change the name from the "my computer" page, I right click on it won't let me change the name. Where else does it need to be changed?

Collapse -
Start > Run > Regedt32
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 23, 2012 9:48 PM PST

then follow the instructions above. HKLM = HKey_Local_Machine

P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!