PC Applications forum

General discussion

how to remove viruses from protected cd ?

by frank_hardy_1 / January 17, 2006 4:09 AM PST

i recently got a cd having mobile software which was downloaded from d net, when i ran cd the cd i found dat d cd contained viruses, i have norton antivirus 2005 insatlled on my system, norton could detect the viruses but not remove them as the cd is a writable one(cd-r), when i tried to copy the file on the cd i got an error "the files cant be copied, mke sure that d files r not write protected or currently in use".
now how should i remove viruses from the cd ?
please help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to remove viruses from protected cd ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to remove viruses from protected cd ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Toss the CD back at the supplier like a slap in the face.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2006 4:17 AM PST

I'm serious. The supplier needs to rectify this NOW. Not later. The sooner they know, the sooner you'll get a good CD.

Please share supplier and title of the CD so we can avoid it too.

Collapse -
by John.Wilkinson / January 17, 2006 6:46 AM PST

Once a CD-R is burned, the data's there for good since unlike a CD-RW, you can not erase any portion or the entire CD's contents. Hence, it is impossible to remove the virus from the disk. Now comes the question where the virus came from. Since you say it is a CD of software downloaded from the internet, I'm assuming it's on that your friend made, and not a company. In that case, we take the question further, to what programs they are (name them) and where they came from (what was his/her source?). We come down to several possibilities:

* These programs are natively bundled with malware. (We can point you to alternatives.)
* They are downloaded from a shifty source. (We can direct you to a safe download site.)
* These programs are pirated and from P2P networks. (Their existance and use is illegal, meaning you'll receive no support.)
* The programs are fine, but your friend was infected and a copy of the virus was transferred to the CD. (He may need help cleaning his computer.)

In any case, I'd destroy the CD immediately, as it's much more trouble than it's worth. Either download clean copies yourself, or if you're restricted by dial-up internet access, have your friend create a new CD with clean copies of the legal software.

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
by frank_hardy_1 / January 19, 2006 6:05 AM PST
In reply to: Nothing...

i mean cant i save the files on my computer then remove the viruses n then write he cd again, i have tried this but the only problem is dat i get an error cant copy from source, and i even tried to make an image using alcohol 120% then run a virus scan but it didnt detect any virus, so please help.

Collapse -
It'll probably remain unknown...
by John.Wilkinson / January 19, 2006 7:23 AM PST
In reply to: reply

By copying the CD to your computer you will most likely be unleasing it on your system if you haven't already. (Hopefully Norton blocked everything successfully. Another question...what do you do about spyware, something Norton does not detect well?) Thus, this is not the preferred method.

Without details, this problem will most likely forever remain a mystery:

* You gave us no information about your computer, operating system, etc.
* If you cannot copy from source, the CD is either DOA or copy protected. Either way, you're out of luck...a damaged/faulty CD must be replaced, and a copy-protected CD cannot be legally copied. Thus, we need to know who burned it and with what.
* We don't know what viri were reported...viri names and file locations are important.
* We have no clue what these programs are, so it's possible that they are in fact viri, bundled with viri, etc.

If you provide the requested information we may be able to assist you. However, with little to go on there's little help that can be provided.

Give a shout back.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?