Laptops forum

General discussion

how to remove Trojan virus without internet access

I have a gateway laptop running windows vista. The laptop will not do much of anything accept in safe mode. Unfortunately I can't get internet access when in safe mode with networking by either wireless or a wirred Ethernet connection.

I copied some files to an external hard drive and scanned them using my Norton 360 antivirus software and found and removed a file called Trojan.malijava!gen17. I am trying to find a way to remove this virus from my laptop. I cannot make any changes to the firewall, which is not currently on, cannot find any wireless or wired networks, cannot accomplish anything out of safe mode.

I had the idea to connect my two laptops via USB and scan the infected hard drive using my working laptop. Is this a possibility and how would I go about doing that? Could I remove the infected hard drive and plug it into my USB with an adapter?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated
Kenny

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to remove Trojan virus without internet access
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to remove Trojan virus without internet access
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try the tools that Grif notes.

In reply to: how to remove Trojan virus without internet access

Collapse -
antivirus cd

In reply to: Try the tools that Grif notes.

If I try to install my Norton 360 disc in safe mode, it tells me that I have to install in normal mode. In normal mode it takes me about 30-40 minutes to get my computer opened to access the disk. I have gotten the disc menu open to the point that windows asks my permission to make changes to the ccomputer. When I click on OK, everything closes and I have to start over. I have also tried Norton Power Eraser but it needs internet access. I have tried that in safe mode with networkimg but I can't get internet access even with an Ethernet cable. In normal mode I get the same issue but it takes much longer, around 30 minutes. If I even try to open internet explorer it just closes before anything can attempt to load. If I go to network status, there are no networks available, not even my working WiFi, it won't let me set up a network using my Ethernet either.

Collapse -
Odd. Grif's note didn't offer that advice.

In reply to: antivirus cd

I know I didn't. I don't mind you asking about Norton but it's not a product I use due to it's issues.
Bob

Collapse -
new problem

In reply to: Odd. Grif's note didn't offer that advice.

Thanks for the previous links. I was able to create and use the Norton bootable tool to remove the Trojan virus. Unfortunately I am still having all of the same issues. Is there something else I should try? Is it possible that the virus damages or removed some crital components and now I am screwed? Thanks again for your help

Collapse -
Bob offered

In reply to: new problem

Collapse -
Maybe, maybe not.

In reply to: new problem

Collapse -
Thank you

In reply to: Maybe, maybe not.

Thank you for your help. I was able to get everything cleaned up and working again with the AdwCleaner that you suggested. I didn't immediatley try the suggestions because I haven't heard of that program and I am always nervous downloading and installing something that I am completley uneducated about. I did some reading and found it to be very effective so I gave it a try. Thanks again, it worked perfectly

Collapse -
Good to read.

In reply to: Thank you

Grif's advice is well worn and stands up to the test of many members.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.