General discussion

How to remove the RAID 0

I have a DELL 8400, with Windows XP professional, The computer came with Raid 0, and now I am having problems with one of the drive, I am afraid that it will eventually die on me. So before it happens, I would like to remove the two drives and replace them with only one. How can I remove the RAID 0?
I have two complete backup on external drives, how can I have the computer forget the RAID and use the backup copies on the new drive?
I am not an expert, so if it can be done I need very clear explanation on how to do it. Thanks
Tina

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How to remove the RAID 0
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to remove the RAID 0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
About these backup copies

Are these full images of the RAID set? If so, you may be able to restore the image to a single drive. Another option, while the RAID array is alive, is to clone it to a single drive. With a little luck, this should work. Of course XP is going to detect the hardware change when you first boot it.

- Collapse -
How to remove the RAID and replace with only one drive

I don't understand the answer, do I replace the two drive with just one and restore the backup booting with the Acronis True Image I have used for the backup? Or, how do I clone the RAID array when is alive? What does mean when is "alive", and "clone"? Thanks again

- Collapse -
Bob might be more correct but I was able to do this

with a RAID 1 array. I've not tried with RAID 0. It's quite a bit different in that, if one drive fails, your data on both is compromised. RAID 1 is mirrored data and, ideally, when one drive dies the other remains readable allowing you time to rebuild the array if you so desire. Anyway, such is why I said "with a little luck". I also wouldn't try unless all drives were on the same controller type....not mix PATA and SATA. I used the term "alive" meaning to do such before the drive goes dead. Sorry to confuse. Acronis True Image can either create an image or clone a drive. Cloning just means duplicating the data on another drive in a usable...and in your case...bootable condition rather than creating a compressed image to be held in case you needed to restore it to that or another drive. It's your choice here depending on your comfort level.

- Collapse -
will be doing this

Funny I caught this post, I will be doing this same thing today when I get home. The way I am going about it is like so.

I am backing up (via Acronis Image) my OS drive (the RAID 0) and will be restoring it to the single drive.

Possible issues: Having an issue while reconfiguring the on board raid controller to "off" (I don't think it will be too bad)
There is a possibility that the OS may not work because of the "raid drivers" installed when installing XP. Hence the image retains this and now you got a funky image. (Read On)

I have done many image restorations and upgrades in both RAID and Non-RAID. I have yet to go from RAID to Not via Image. However, it IS worth noting Acronis sees your RAID 0 as 1 disk just as your OS does. It saves it just as if it were 1 Disk. So, in theory, this will work. (Theory Bob, don't yell at me.)

When upgrading your drive size via the Acronis Image, you do not select the MBR track (not restored), this allows you to "adjust" the "free space" essentially re-sizing your OS drive. My guess is the "RAIDsoft" drivers are located in the MBR somehow. Since I am not restoring it, bing!

In any case I have multiple back-ups, so I am very comfortable with playing drive manager. I can probably post the results after I am done.

GL

- Collapse -
I don't think this will work. Here's why.

It appears you want to move the OS from RAID to a plain single drive. Since RAID is non-standard and the OS was installed with RAID drivers and possible more then when we clone the old OS to the new single drive it will likely repeat what I've seen many times and fail to boot.

Since your skill level is at the point of not being able to clone the drive, repairing a failed OS is not possible.

-> OK, let's just save your files and get on with the recovery. Let's approach this with a controller disaster. Let's pretend the RAID has failed but you backed up your files (no need to use Acronis for this!) with simple copy and paste from the old system to the backup media.

Now all we do is install the OS to the new single drive, the drivers and copy paste our files to our new drive. Install a few applications and we are back in business.
Bob

- Collapse -
bob's right

I would recommend Bob's advice. However, I just removed my RAID 0 successfully. However, as noted above I have considerable experience in Imaging and RAID.

As noted above I made a fresh image of my drive (RAID 0). Rebooted the system into Bios, shut off my RAID controller. The system did warn me of a RAID issue before the first BIOS (there were no drives!). I installed the new primary drive, booted to acronis. Selected to restore the partition to the new drive (Deselected the MBR Track) and re-adjusted the drive size.

Hit restore and 25 minutes later I successfully restored my entire OS to a single drive from a RAID 0 environment.

NOTE: I do not know how typical these results are.

While I am here, I would like to give a shout-out to Acronis, Western Digital, and Newegg. Not adverts but I just can't lose with them.

CNET Forums