HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

How to remove SP2 firewall

by bently / August 23, 2004 12:11 AM PDT

Since I installed SP2, I have 2 extra icons in the Taskmanager.

Next to the "2 monitor" icon that indicates I am online...
I have two more "2 monitor" icons, one with yellow triangle with ! in the triangle...
and one 2 monitor icon with red X on it.

Those 2 extra monitors represent SP2 firewall and I am having problems with some sites NOT loading since this firewall was installed by SP2, so I want to uninstall or remove these 2 icons.

How do I do that. I found how to turn it off, but would like to remove the icons if possible.

Thanks

Ben

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to remove SP2 firewall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to remove SP2 firewall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How to remove SP2 firewall
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2004 1:19 AM PDT

That firewall was there before, but disabled. There is no unisntall for that one. But you can look in Start, Help and Support about ICF and how to control is as well as disable it.

Bob

Collapse -
can I remove icons Re: How to remove SP2 firewall
by bently / August 23, 2004 2:27 AM PDT

Thanks Bob,

How can I remove the 2 firewall icons from bottom right hand of my monitor. The one with the red X obviously is not a working program.

Ben

Collapse -
Ben, see if a solution is here...
by glenn30 / August 23, 2004 2:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
Ben, This Should Help
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 23, 2004 3:26 AM PDT

The red shield with the X in it is the SP2 reminder icon that you have the firewall disabled, or at least one of the security features isn't running. Try this: Open the Control Panel, double click on the 'Security Center" icon, and when it opens select the option to disable the firewall. Next, in that Firewall section, click on the "Recommendations" button, then place a CEHCK mark in the "I have a firewall solution that I monitor myself", then click on OK. Next, click on the "Change the way Security Center alerts me" on the lower left part of the screen. When that opens, UNCHECK all three boxes listed there. Click on OK and the system tray icons should disappear.

PLEASE NOTE: Following the procedures above basically disables all of the warning options that reside in the new Service Pack 2. You may or may not like this option.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Ben, This Should Help
by bently / August 23, 2004 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Ben, This Should Help

Thanks Grif,

That did it.

Also went to RegEdit and removed unneeded second connection data.

All seems to be working fine now.

Ben

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Ben, Good Job & Glad We Could Help !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 23, 2004 1:51 PM PDT
Collapse -
by DBman190 / August 27, 2004 12:58 AM PDT

The easiest way to disable the firewall permanently, and disable notifications about it is to:

1. Open security center
2. At the bottom, choose Manage Security Settings for Windows Firewall
3. turn the firewall off
4. under firewall where it says OFF and is red, click recommendations
5. click I Have a Firewall Solution I'll Monitor Myself

Collapse -
by seymouru / August 30, 2004 9:57 AM PDT

I followed these steps, but the red shield re-appears every time I reboot. I also have to re-check "I have a firewall solution that I monitor myself" after each reboot. Am I doing something wrong?

Collapse -
Seymouru, Did You Try ???
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 30, 2004 1:33 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Seymouru, Did You Try ???
by seymouru / August 30, 2004 4:27 PM PDT

Grif,

Thanks for your ideas. I had initially tried everything you suggested, and then retried everything again. I checked "I have a firewall solution that I monitor myself," and unchecked all three boxes under "Change the way Security Center alerts me." But after a reboot, the "I have a firewall..." button is de-selected, and the Firewall box under "Change the way..." is unchecked.

Very strange! Any additional thoughts?

Seymour

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And Did You Disable The FW BEFORE Trying Those Steps
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 31, 2004 12:53 PM PDT
Collapse -
Yes I did -- I also found the solution to the problem
by seymouru / August 31, 2004 2:29 PM PDT

The way to permanently disable the warning messages is to disable the Security Center service:

1. Go to Start > Run > type in "services.msc" (no quotes)
2. Find "Security Center" in the list, and double click on it
3. Set "Startup type" to Disabled
4. Reboot

Hope this helps anyone else who has this problem.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Seymouru, Good Job & Thanks For Posting Back !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 1, 2004 2:04 PM PDT
Collapse -
by danterio / August 27, 2004 1:27 AM PDT

Go to Control Panel
Click on Network Connections
Right click on the Icon representing your connection
click on properties from the drop down menu
click on the Advanced tab
uncheck the box for Internet Firewall

Collapse -
Done
by bently / August 27, 2004 1:35 AM PDT

got it done, thanks to all.

Ben

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.