Computer Help forum

Question

How to remove PUP.OPTION . . . .

Using HP p6633w, AMD Athlon II X2 255 Processor with 5
GB RAM

Have tried to remove PUP.OPTION with Malwarebytes but that does not work.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ron

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to remove PUP.OPTION . . . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to remove PUP.OPTION . . . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) Is it Pup.Optional.OpenCandy?

In reply to: How to remove PUP.OPTION . . . .

Collapse -
NO

In reply to: Is it Pup.Optional.OpenCandy?

It is Pup.Optional followed by 10 to 12 other items. Sorry, I didn't make a note of them.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Please Try This......

In reply to: How to remove PUP.OPTION . . . .

First, because PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) frequently come with recent downloads and installations, check your Control Panel-Programs and Features section (assuming you have Win7 installed), then uninstall any unneeded and recent programs you see there. You may see items regarding Conduit, SweetPacks, updaters, etc.

Next, download and run the ADWCleaner program from the link below. Delete anything it finds.:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Next, follow all of the instructions in the link below:

Open each of the browsers you use, click on "Tools" in the upper left, then choose "Add-Ons" or "Manage add-ons" or something similar. Once there, look for the offending add-on and remove or disable it from there.. Once that's done, access your browser's homepage settings and reset it back to one of your choice.. (For example, for Internet Explorer, click on "Tools", select "Internet Options", "General" tab, and in the "Homepage" section, change the listed homepage there.

Once that's done, proceed on with the instructions below to scan the computer for adware/spyware.

If you can download the tools listed below on the problem computer, great, but you may need to use a separate, clean computer, download the tools, copy them to a DIFFERENT flash drive or CD, then transfer them to the infected computer.

Once that's done, then restart the computer into "Safe Mode with Networking" and use the instructions below. If you can't start in Safe Mode, then run all the tools while in "normal" Windows first, then run them in Safe Mode afterward.:

After downloading or transferring it to the problem machine, run the
following tool to help allow the removal programs below to run.
(courtesy of Grinler at BleepingComputer.com)There are 3 different
versions. If one of them won't run then try to run the other one. Be
patient.... as a black window should open, then close after finding all
the background programs.Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose Run as AdminYou only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.

Rkill.exe
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe

Rkill.com
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com

Rkill.scr
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr

IMMEDIATELY after running the "Rkill" tool above, run/install the Malwarebytes and
SuperAntispyware installer and update files from the links below which
you've also copied to a CD or flash drive, and transfered to the problem
machine. Do NOT restart the computer after running Rkill. After that, run a full system scan
and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Next, install and run a full system scan with the SuperAntispyware program
and the manual updater from the links below. As before, you may need to
rename the installer file to get the program to install.:

SuperAntispyware
https://www.superantispyware.com/

Manual Update
http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

And after that, if everything's fine by you can't connect to the internet,
then follow the procedures below to check your network "proxy" settings
again.Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools-Internet
Options-Connection Tab. Click on the LAN settings button. IF there is a
check mark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN", uncheck it. Click
OK. Then OK, again.

And finally, download and run the tool below to bring back any files that may have been hidden by the malware on the computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/unhide/

Hope this helps.

Grif

Post was last edited on May 20, 2018 4:46 PM PDT

Collapse -
questionable download

In reply to: Please Try This......

Thank you, grif. I did the above (I alreaady use malwarebytes) and got rid of some stuff. Hope it's ok

Collapse -
Use Malwarebytes AFTER Rkill

In reply to: questionable download

I provided the previous instructions because there are differences to what you indicated in your first post.. They involve using ADWCleaner as well as the other steps and tools mentioned. Running Rkill, then using Malwarebytes, etc. works better because Rkill shuts down background malware so the removal tools do a better job.

Did you use all the steps I listed? If not, please do.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
super antispyware

Hello. How do I remove this? I have tried 2 uninstalls (inc. CC cleaner ) and it won't! This is conflicting with my own spyware and since I installed it have had difficulties with programs. Therefore, I suspect THIS is spyware. Please advise how to remove.
Thank you

Collapse -
SuperAntispyware Should Be Able To Simply Uninstall, But....

In reply to: super antispyware

...if it's not uninstalling correctly, (It IS NOT spyware assuming you've downloaded it from the website I suggested earlier.), you should be able to remove it using the instructions in the link below.. (Note there is an "uninstaller assistant" which should take care of things.)

http://www.superantispyware.com/supportfaqdisplay.html?faq=47

And if all else fails, try the freeware version of Revo Uninstaller from the link below.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Please note that your difficulty with uninstalling can be for a number of reasons, but you'll have to tell us more about your machine, make and model, the operating system, etc. and the types of things you have installed.. It's possible you have all sorts of malware on the machine but we'll need more details about what the scanners found, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Help to remove Cursor Snowflake

Hi Grif, Thank you so much for your reply. I greatly appreciate the detail and length you have gone to in helping me remove the download. Because of the detail I have set the time aside later to follow each step accurately. I will let you know the outcome. I have learnt a valuable lesson. Thank you again. Greatly appreciated. Best regards, Deb

Collapse -
stop hijacking my browser!

Thanks, I didn't download, install and run all the programs you advised.... once bitten twice shy. I tracked doen all the secret little entries and programs cnet installed without my permission.
And I deleted cnet from my computer and mailing lists. I've also blacklisted cnet as spamware and crapware.
Honestly, when will large companies think it's wrong to deceive their customers??
Cnet USED to be a responsible company

Collapse -
mysterious audio

Wow! A lot to read. Thanks a mil.

Collapse -
Redirection

My problem is unwanted redirection of my home page when opening Internet Explorer 10. My PC is an 9 month old HP All in One Smartouch Envy20 64 bit win 8,0 OS with 4 gig mem and 1 tb HD. HP ENVY 20-d113w TouchSmart All-in-One Desktop PC.

Thanks Grif, I appreciate your solutions. But first I must say that I KNow nothing much about computing. I just go blindly about enjoying it, until......

Well my machine may have the worst problem ever. It could self destruct, blowing me, my wife, my home to heck and back.

Then suddenly I luck upon a "FIX" where all I have to do, is download something like "FIX "death and Destruction".exe
and all will be well. HMMM Ok I can do that. Don't even take too much out of a PC Dummy.

I download it, run it, reboot and HOOORAY! all stuff is OK and ready to live a long life.

But I have a virus or some thing I cant understand, it is not a really BAD thing. But is driving me bonkers. Just irritating the mortal daylights out of me. Some "force unknown, wants to redirect my home page to some site where it thinks it can make money from me! Yeah RIght. ME? Money? Buit it is so aggravating...knowing genius can do that to MY Property..

Now Grif, I have tried most if not all your suggestions and still. Granted I do have problems understanding all of it. I still have problem!!! I may try again, but now I still get sent "over there"

My point is why does the problem still exist. I cant -I don't know enough PCing.

BUT surely there is someone at Microsoft (huh), Google, or hundreds of other 'program manufacturing' brains, who could write a fix in minutes.

But when asking the question about what can I do to stop redirecting, all I get by far from MOST replies, amounts to DUUUUH I DON Know.

Does anyone else agree with about how exasperating this stuff can be??? Can anybody out write a "FIX" program?

Or do I have to spend the rest of my computering life dreading to open my browser because I known some idiot genius is going to send me to "Sites Unknown"
Thanks

Collapse -
Well, You Will Need To Always Be Cautious, But....

In reply to: Redirection

...some of the 'redirect" malware is so bad, that the best option is to completely format the drive and reinstall the operating system, drivers, and all software back to its factory condition. In some cases, that's easy by using their recovery discs or the hidden recovery partition already on the computer. (Check the computer manufacturer's website for instructions on how to perform the complete recovery.)

Basically, keep a good backup copy of all your important documents, then put them back on the computer after the full recovery. And in the meantime, LEARN more about how to use the computer and the internet safely. YOU are the best protection a computer has against such stuff.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) Grif, Thank you very much for your reply. I will try. Chris

Collapse -
How to get rid of GGetcheAper

I tried everything in the order you suggested , the GGetcheAper disappeared , but I do still the shopping popups such as " best deals and many others.

Any ideas what else can be done .

Thanks .

Collapse -
And You've Tried All Those Steps in "Safe Mode"?

In reply to: How to get rid of GGetcheAper

If not, please do.. In addition, make sure to get rid of the add-ons in your browsers and clean out all Temp and Temporary Internet Files. Sometimes, resetting those browsers fixes the issue also. Resetting Chrome and Firefox are as simple as uninstalling, then reinstalling them.. Internet Explorer can be reset to its default settings by open the Control Panel, then the "Internet Options" icon, then the "Advanced" tab.. Click on the "Reset" button.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Essentials (Defender) and MAlwareBytes

In reply to: How to get rid of GGetcheAper

TRy these two ( and no other antivirus and anti-malware) and try AD-Block Plus for IE

Collapse -
WORDPAD.EXE.MUI Ransom Ware FBI

Thank you, I fixed the problem. I loaded a new version of Malwarebytes, ran that in safe mode, also got a free virus scanner from Microsoft Security Essentials. Also did an "sfc/scannow" in safe mode with command line. Everything seems file now. The "Host Services Task Has Stopped" messages are gone, and the FBI screen doesn't hijack my computer anymore. This is the third time. btw, these viruses can piggyback themselves on Adobe Flash Utility update popups to update, never click that, you probably already have Adobe Flash Player, and IF you want to update it, I don't see why you would, you can get it directly from Adobe or CNET. The "sfc/scannow" I believe fixed the wordpad.exe.mui, that I believe had the Trojan buried in it, because I compared it to a good version of the file from my other computer.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Microsoft-Security-Essentials.shtml

Collapse -
Remove My Start

Thank you, Grif for your very detailed reply.

Having had a look, after clicking on the left-hand ADW cleaner, I notice that there are many items listed and I see the instruction to "uncheck elements that I don't want to remove." I have no idea what to uncheck or what not to uncheck.
Excuse my ignorance. Items in the registry are not familiar to me and I do not know where to discover the details of these items.

Regards,

Colinito.

Collapse -
Please avoid burying new questions in old threads.

In reply to: Remove My Start

This post is 500 days old and while it noted some of the better apps for AUTOMATIC REMOVAL of many pests your new questions require a new post.

Make your new post and we'll close this old thread.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.