HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac Applications forum

Question

How to remove pop-ups

by CharlieP88 / February 24, 2015 2:24 PM PST

Recently I have started receiving pop-ups in the bottom right and left corners of every page I navigate to, which are either fake "hey I want to talk" messages or pictures of a graphical nature. Some are in english and some in russian. The fake messenger-type ones are even making sounds. Today I also noticed every time I try to click on internet links I get a new tab opening up which directs me to russian web pages or online shopping pages, and sometimes after the messenger-type pop-up, I'm getting a pop-up in a new browser window advertising adult cams.

I thought the problem might be isolated to Chrome, but when I tried using safari I got the same issues.

Can somebody please help and point me in the right direction to remove what ever is causing this? I tried installing adwaremedic but it says my computer is fine, and I tried some apple support about "removing unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac", but the files it tells me to look for are not on my computer.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as my computer screen is currently being invaded any time I'm online!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to remove pop-ups
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to remove pop-ups
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Certainly sounds like a piece of malware
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 24, 2015 8:47 PM PST
In reply to: How to remove pop-ups

Check Safari preferences to see if your Home page is what you had set originally.

What version of OS X are you using?

You may also want to download and install a copy of AVG for Mac, it's Free, and is apparently quite good at finding those annoying pieces of malware.

P

Collapse -
there is a pop-up blocker in Safari,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 24, 2015 8:52 PM PST
Collapse -
Still looking for an answer
by CharlieP88 / February 25, 2015 3:57 PM PST

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately it looks like I still have a problem. The popups haven't gone away. They're not popups that appear in a new browser window, it's just a graphic in the corner of the screen, they always slide up from the bottom of the screen. Also the other part when I try to click on something on the screen and I get redirected to another website is still happening.

I ran AVG and it picked up on four files, but deleting these hasn't got rid of the problem. I took an indepth look through thesafemac.com and tried a few things but these didn't work. I know my landlord has had work on the internet connection the last couple of days, and there are other people in the house using the network, so I thought it might be a network issue. I turned off the wifi and tethered my computer to my iphone and connected to the internet that way. Still got the problem.

Then I remembered some stupid pop up that came up on my iphone a few days ago. Again it was a chat-type window and I stupidly typed in it before I closed the window and carried on about my business. I think this was the first instance of anything happening on my phone or computer. After the next time I connected my phone to my computer was when I started getting problems on my computer. I don't know if the two things can be inter-related. thesafemac.com talked about Wirelurker, but my phone isn't jail broken. However it sounds like that sort of thing if an issue jumped from my phone to my computer. I only thought about it possibly being that today because I got another one of those pop ups on my phone, which I quickly closed this time. Strange thing is I had been using my phone all day at work and never saw the pop up then.

Tonight I have restored my iphone, but of course to do that I had to plug it in to my computer. I will monitor to see if I get the issue again on my phone. In the meantime I still have the issue on my computer.

Both my computer and phone are both up to date with the latest iOS and OSX.

To answer your first question, although I use chrome over safari, I checked the home page address in preferences on both and they are just apple and google.

Collapse -
(NT) try deleting the cookies in all your web browsers,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 26, 2015 8:42 PM PST
Collapse -
Try ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2015 2:38 AM PST

1. A new user account.
2. In the new user account RESET CHROME (it's on the web) to blow away addons.
Bob

Collapse -
seems ok at the moment
by CharlieP88 / February 28, 2015 6:24 AM PST

mrmacfixit: thanks! So far deleting the cookies in chrome and safari has helped. I was online all day yesterday and didn't get any popups so fingers crossed. As for the similar popups I had received twice on my iphone, I had already restored it from a previous backup and so far it hasn't shown up on there again. I'm still puzzled as to how the two could be interlinked though?

Bob, so far I haven't had to do what you recommend. Wouldn't that require creating a new google email address and login? Is there a way to see if there are any addons installed on chrome? I don't think I have any.

Charles

Collapse -
So far no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2015 6:30 AM PST
In reply to: seems ok at the moment
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.