PC Hardware forum

Resolved Question

How to remove partition safely

I have a Sony PCV-RS 430G running Windows XP Home Edition with SP1 and SP2.

C drive is nearly full and warning me to free up space. I have lots of space on the D drive. I don't really want to reformat this pc.

I have an external hard drive that I could set up to move files on the D drive over to, if that's an option. I'd like to keep using this pc. I've removed all the programs I can afford to move and defragged.

C drive: Capacity 13.9 GB - Used:13.8GB Free:128MB
D drive: Capacity 92.8 GB - Used: 47.3GB Free:45.4GB

I have recovery disks I made when the pc was new.
I also used SpeedUpMyPC to try to clean it up. I've disabled it now.

Would you help me to know what the best approach would be? I don't know if removing the partition is the best option or not. Obviously I can not put anything else on the pc at this time.

Thank you all very much.

DonnaJones has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to remove partition safely
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to remove partition safely
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by DonnaJones

Collapse -
There are none.

In reply to: How to remove partition safely

This is why we duplicate or backup the entire driver BEFORE we use any partition managers.

YES I read you have the recovery media but some find out the CD/DVD drive has aged and won't boot from that.

With the major warnings out of the way I've used GPARTED (see google) to delete and resize volumes. However what's on D: now would need to be restored to C: after the change.
Bob

Collapse -
External HD

In reply to: There are none.

Thanks for your response Bob. I have an external hard drive that is large enough to contain all the files on the D drive and the C drive. I have never used an external HD. I bought it to backup the HD on the PC, just never hooked it up. (USB)

I would like to ask a new question now. How do I move the files on the HD to the external HD? Do I use the backup feature in windows accessories? Or do I drag and drop them in My Computer?

part B: Do I back up the D drive only? Or the whole shabang? How would that work, combining both drives C&D on the external HD?

Before anyone gives me a tongue-lashing about backing up... I know... Happy I know:) My only excuse is that I back up all my picture files and other documents onto a CD or DVD and I don't worry about the rest. I usually end up buying a new pc before I run out of room. But now that HD's, even on laptops can store so much more, I have the ext HD for my laptop and new desktop. (Just need to hook them up... )

Thanks

Collapse -
Windows backup failed me too many times.

In reply to: External HD

While some want to use that, I can't suggest it.

Let me write the easiest way to copy everything from the old drive to the external, just select all, control C (copy) and then on the external, control V (paste) This will take time so either give it hours or do a few folders at a time.

I use CLONEZILLA (free, widely documented) to save an image of the entire drive on my externals (I believe in more than one copy.) This again can take time so I do that over night.

Last we have DROPBOX. Not a lot of space but for stuff you can't lose, another backup.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Windows backup failed me too many times.

Thanks again Bob, I will use that copy/paste approach, in small batches. I will look at the software you mentioned also.
Donna

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.