Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to remove corrupt Office 2003 SP-2 download?

Windows XP Pro SP-2

The critical SP-2 update for Office 2003 was automatically downloaded to my system and sits in the lower right tray using the gold icon. Says ready to install and starts but after some time the ''Install Failed'' message appears and the uninstalled update remains in the tray ready to try again. Each time this puts an installed failed in the Microsoft Updates History list which now has three entries recorded...I want to stop the merry-go-round.

At this point I would simply like to get the download out of the tray and start over. I suspect the download is corrupt because of all kinds of flaky things happening during the download... will not go into these as they are complicated and I do not remember all details.

The help needed is assistance in getting the auto download out of the ''twlight zone'' and off my computer. Will then start over with fresh download. Had no success in doing a search for the file... not sure of its exact name.

Any help will be appreciated.

Glenn

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to remove corrupt Office 2003 SP-2 download?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to remove corrupt Office 2003 SP-2 download?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Glenn...

In reply to: How to remove corrupt Office 2003 SP-2 download?

What have you tried so far so we don't go through the merry-go-round? The first thing I would try is to right-click the icon and see if there is a "close" on the menu.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
That's the problem...

In reply to: Glenn...

I have no idea what to do. When I either right or left click the gold download icon the Automatic Updates window pops up asking ''How do you want to install updates? The choices are Express Install or Custom Install then the choice is to install or ''Cancel''. Choosing the install starts the merry-go-round! Cancel does nothing and leaves the download in the tray. As previously indicated the Search feature is not helpful. Have tried search names for the manual download but file is not found.

The annoying thing about this is the nag screen wanting to install this update each time the system is shut down.

Appreciate help from anyone in removing this stuck download.

Thanks Jack, and life does go on...

Glenn

Collapse -
MS Office updates

In reply to: That's the problem...

Try putting the original MS Office CD in first and then click the update icon. If you run the files from the MS update site, Office likes to validate your legal ownership this way. I'm not sure about the what's going on with yours but give this a try.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Steven, also failed. Appreciate suggestion!

In reply to: MS Office updates

Collapse -
Steven,.. good news!

In reply to: MS Office updates

Your suggestion did something. Although the update did not install the gold icon has since disappeared from the tray and the nag shutdown screen is gone. So now I will download a new manual update and hope it works.

Thanks, your suggestion did the trick.

Glenn

Collapse -
That's great Glenn...KUDOS to Steve!!!..Let

In reply to: Steven,.. good news!

us know how it turns out, OK?

and life goes on...

Jack

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.