Computer Help forum

General discussion

How to Remove Annoying ?Safe To Remove Hardware? Message BoX

by WeAreKira / March 5, 2010 8:52 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to Remove Annoying ?Safe To Remove Hardware? Message BoX
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to Remove Annoying ?Safe To Remove Hardware? Message BoX
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Question.
by Coryphaeus / March 5, 2010 8:55 AM PST

Do you click the USB icon in the tray before you remove the device? If so, don't. Just remove the device when it's idle.

Collapse -
Reply to Coryphaeus
by WeAreKira / March 5, 2010 9:07 AM PST
In reply to: Question.

Yes, I even tried left/right click..

Still an annoying safe to remove dialog box appears.. again, this recently happened when I updated my laptop..

anyway..I just want to know the Windows KB Update that causes this to happen.. I don't want to reformat again just for this Sad

OR maybe I can do a repair installation? Will that remove all updates?

Collapse -
As I said . . .
by Coryphaeus / March 5, 2010 8:50 PM PST
In reply to: Reply to Coryphaeus

don't click it. If the device is idle, just unplug it.

I don't know of any update that would cause this.

Collapse -
Ok but..
by WeAreKira / March 5, 2010 10:53 PM PST
In reply to: As I said . . .

I'm really fond of using that method..click click..hehehe xD

idle..when is that..

My friend told me to always use safely remove to prevent the devices from degrading..

sorry I gotten used to that..hayz

uhm, all I wanted now..is to find out what KB Update caused this.. darn..I've downloaded all without reading..poor me..

and can I revert all updates? OR My finale option is to reformat again..

Sir, sorry to cause you a lot of troubles okey ^^

~ Vista Ultimate SP2

Collapse -
Check the update history.
by Kees Bakker / March 5, 2010 10:56 PM PST
In reply to: Ok but..

That's automatically available if you visit Windowsupdate from IE.

Kees

Collapse -
YAY ^^
by WeAreKira / March 5, 2010 11:19 PM PST

but..which one? I have 54 Windows Update o_O

can you specify them? uhm then if there's no choice = uninstall all >_< ow man

ok..uhm last one! [maybe] xD

I see two types:
Security Update for Microsoft Windows
Update for Microsoft Windows

..in your opinion which one caused this annoyance?

Collapse -
awts..
by WeAreKira / March 5, 2010 11:25 PM PST
In reply to: YAY ^^

sorry i meant to say..one not all, man I'm expecting toO much..xD

ok nevermind..ow...i'm sad now..

I'm current trying to contact MS right now..can find the livechat option.. arggg

Collapse -
May be an answer to your ?

The article [Q307729] contains information about modifying the registry to disable the notification area balloon tips.

Collapse -
Safe to remove icon etc.
by Phil Crase / March 5, 2010 10:40 PM PST

Go to CONTROL PANEL, open TASKBAR AND START menu, under taskbar, go to CUSTOMIZE, you can adjust from there.

Collapse -
"Safe To Remove"
by jaythom1969 / March 5, 2010 11:12 PM PST

To get rid of the message totally you have to modify the reg. Which you do not want to do. This "Safe to Remove" comes up, or is supposed to on any SATA1 or 2 or USB drives when used. So to link it to an update is probably a not happening thing.

What I would say is the same as the comment "to pull drive when not in use" how will you know? when your n ot using it for 60 seconds should be safe, the longer you wait. The safer to pull.

Collapse -
Woah!
by WeAreKira / March 20, 2010 5:20 PM PDT
In reply to: "Safe To Remove"

Conclusion: I have done my research; it's not the KBs installed after windows update

Just notice that the annoying safe to remove dialog box with an
"OK" button that requires clicking or hitting Enter still appears after reformatting my laptop ^^

Solution: Upgrade to Windows7

~Microsoft has changed this functionality in Windows 7. Windows 7 shows a balloon tip instead of the dialog box.

Oh well, it can be lived with. Just a slight annoyance.

Anyway, thank you everyone..^^

Collapse -
Verified.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2010 9:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Woah!

I am lucky enough that the office changed out our vista laptops for Windows 7 Pro laptops and it was a slight annoying thing about Vista that when you ejected the SD Card which I did several times a day the box you noted required a click to go away.

On Windows 7 it goes away on its own. Much better.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.