Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Question

How to recover Windows Live Mail files?

by Disneyfan / April 24, 2013 10:38 PM PDT

A friend uses Windows Live Mail. They have a Dell laptop running Windows 7 Home. Recently, due to file corruption, their system has become unbootable even in Safe Mode. So she has the Dell recovery discs and will be running that process to recover her system.

The hard drive is still readable and we pulled it and connected it to another computer. We can copy files but how can we recover the Windows Live Mail data (messages, folders, contacts, etc.). Is there a way to do that without the programs export function?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to recover Windows Live Mail files?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to recover Windows Live Mail files?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Windows Live mail data
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 24, 2013 11:12 PM PDT

A helpful link:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/1ed37fd7-8fdd-4810-8506-429f8696536f/

But do I understand correctly they didn't include that data on their regular backup? Then it's time to rethink that. I find a $40 64 GB USB-stick a quite usable device to do a regular backup to. Just set up an incremental backup scheme (only the changes since the last time you did it) and once in a while (while enjoying dinner or TV or doing househuld work) put that stick in and start that backup. It's only a few clicks if setup correctly. Easy and useful.

Kees

Collapse -
Unfortunately...
by Disneyfan / April 25, 2013 12:09 AM PDT

...the last backup that they did was last year. I have appropriately slapped their hand and will set them up with a regular backup routine. I will check the link that you posted for a solution to the problem. Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.