Desktops forum

Question

How to recover data from hard disk which has bad sectors?

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">I want to recover my desktop datas from hard disk which had many bad sectors.I used sea tools, both short run and long run test failed."The hard disk smart tripped" message comes.The hard disk has warranty.I used HDD regerator software and tried to repair the hard disk.But it's taking more than 20 hours to repair the hard drive.so i skipped that option, next i used sea tools full erase option to erase all datas so that it will remove all bad scetors but full erase failed after completing 50 percent.is there any solution for this? <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> <span id="INSERTION_MARKER">

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to recover data from hard disk which has bad sectors?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to recover data from hard disk which has bad sectors?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Possible cures

In reply to: How to recover data from hard disk which has bad sectors?

Your continued use of the HD when known as bad is only going to solidify the situation. Plus, as you stated you used the "erasure pgm." that's not going to bring back data but lose whatever is there. So, basically its hosed. If the warranty is still valid, start the process and get the replacement. If you're worried that they'll use your data in some way, only God knows, but I thought it. using s/w and other so-called end user methods tend to work if there some life in the HD and what the problem is. Yes, this is time consuming so don't expect a quick turn-around. You can use a data recovery service if you deem the data critical, so that's up to you. Goto the "storage forum" here and checkout the pgms. offered in the sticky post(top post) and if anything can help. IMO, you may have done more damage in your prior attempts, it maybe time to allow the pros to do this, sorry Sad

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: recovering

Full erase sounds like it deleted everything. So I'm afraid you thoroughly messed up.

All you can do now: contact a professional data recovery company. It won't be cheap.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Now that you erased it the news is

There is some hope if you work at the NSA (an USA agency). But even the professionals don't give you much hope after you erase with tools like you mentioned.

Bob

Collapse -
How can i safe guard my hard disk from bad sectors?

In reply to: Now that you erased it the news is

How can i safe guard my hard disk from bad sectors.how can i prevent that in future?

Collapse -
Re: safeguard hard disk from bad sectors

In reply to: How can i safe guard my hard disk from bad sectors?

When we still had 5.25" and 3.5" diskettes, an occasional bad sector was very common, especially after a year of storage of the diskette. So we knew not to use diskettes for storage and to archive/backup files on more than one diskette.

On hard disks they are rather uncommon. Still we know to backup. You can't prevent such failures. All you can do is to be prepared when they happen. It's the same as with a flat tyre for a car.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Re: How to recover data from hard disk which has bad sectors

Data loss due to hard drive crashes or
other logical errors may happen. Be prepared for the worst with the
best. Use Kernel for Windows Disk Recovery and be assured of your
data even if the partitions are lost. Kernel is competent to recover
files from any windows file system.

Collapse -
Re: recovery

In reply to: Re: How to recover data from hard disk which has bad sectors

Just don't pay anything until the demo mode has shown it recovers it least something.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
posssible

bro, you can use, easyuse data recover software from www.filehippo.com. thanx

Collapse -
Re: recovery

In reply to: posssible

For the OP: just don't pay anything until the demo mode has shown it recovers it least something.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks 4 Help

In reply to: posssible

Thanks for providing this information .I have faced this problem many times.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.