General discussion

How to recover data from dead hard drive?

Greetings all:

I think I already know the answer to this, but here goes: I have an 80GB IBM Deskstar hard drive that died (will not even spin up). Does any way exist to get the data off of the drive (that won't cost me a millon dollars?

Thanx in advance...

DJKeegs

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How to recover data from dead hard drive?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to recover data from dead hard drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
yess..

All you need is a freezer. In some cases, beleive it or not, you can freeze a HD and get it work again, only temporarily though. Freezing may cause the disks to contract enough to start spinning, and boot up.

Put it in a plastic bag (protect for moisture) and then leave it for a couple hours, quckly install it and try to boot.

If you google it you'll find some people's results

- Collapse -
Yes you can recover data from dead hard drive.

Some times we are unable to open our system, may be operating system has corrupted. For this situation you need to use Stellar windows data recovery software.

To recover your data you need to boot your machine by software and then to access all the files.

You can see a demo for all your file by fee of cost by Stellar Windows data recovery free demo software.

Thanks
Birellar.

- Collapse -
I doubt it.

Data recovery via any data recovery program (the one you recommend is just one of many, of course) requires a disk that has no fatal hardware errors. The power supply should work, the electronics should be OK and it should spin. If there's a fatal hardware error like that, it needs very specialized repair. Data recovery then runs in the 4 digits (in US$) and you can't do it yourself.

Kees

CNET Forums

Forum Info