General discussion

How to record on a HDD

My mum has just bought a Samsung LE32C580J1 LCD tv and a Samsung SH893M DVD recorder. She wants to be able to select programmes for recording on to the hard drive of the DVD, but we can't work out how to do this. Any help gratefully received!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: How to record on a HDD
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to record on a HDD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: recprding on HDD

I didn't check the manual that I found on
http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/detail/supportPrdDetail.do?menu=SP01&prd_ia_cd=&prd_mdl_cd=&prd_mdl_name=DVD-SH893M but I really expect it tells how recording works. And I even think that it tells it better than anybody here could do it.

When my daughter was 20 she got an LG hard disk recorder. I remember I managed to find out how to record on the hard disk and play back the recording in less than one evening, using only the user manual. It was the kind of experience that made me decide to replace my broken VCR by another VCR in stead of a DVD- or harddiscrecorder later in the year (that was 2007 or 200Cool.

I don't think the manual of Samsung will be much less clear about the subject then the LG manual. So you can do it!

Kees

- Collapse -
re recording on HDD

Believe me we did try, but the phrase 'eyes glazing over springs to mind'!

- Collapse -
re recording on HDD

paulgorham,

Not all HDD devices are supported, although that can vary based on manufacturer and how the disc is formatted. Unfortunately, I can't offer support for recording to thumbdrive (MSC class devices, which I believe is supported) since that feature isn't available in the U.S. I haven't personally worked with it. You may be able to get better direction from the Samsung customer service center in your region.

But see if you're able to record to a MSC class device, like a thumbdrive. If you can, but still aren't able to record to a larger HDD device, it may be a limitation.

--HDTech

CNET Forums

Forum Info