HolidayBuyer's Guide

How To forum

Question

How to - real-time GPS tracking of sales staff

by knightsunny / November 2, 2013 8:42 PM PDT

Dear All,
I have recently set up a new business where I employ a team of 5 sales reps who are responsible for door-to-door sales in urban areas. I wish to differentiate my services from our local competitors by exploiting GPS technology. However, I do not have a technology background and hence seeking your help.
Rather than buying and stocking the products from manufacturers, I have signed the contracts with them to engage only in door-to-door sales of their products. Delivery and payment collection is handled by the manufacturers themselves.
All the sales reps are provided with an entry-level android smartphone with GPS capability. However, they may NOT have data connectivity everywhere they go.
Now, I wish to purchase a system/software that allows me......
1) To track in real-time (live) the movements of all my sales reps on my laptop. (Ideally, I would prefer to see a single screen with Google Maps showing street-by-street movements of all the sales reps in it)
2) To offer the manufacturer an access to track in real-time the movements of a sales rep who is responsible for selling their products on any given day. (Please note that NOT ALL REPS sell the products of the same manufacturer, so they are only interested in monitoring the movements of the sales rep who is responsible for their products)
3) To offer the manufacturer a snapshot/screenshot, at the end of the day, of the Google Map showing which streets were covered by a sales rep on any given day.
Is there a way to achieve this?
All suggestions are welcome

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to - real-time GPS tracking of sales staff
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to - real-time GPS tracking of sales staff
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Dead on arrival.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2013 2:05 AM PST

By writing there is no data link how did you propose to get the data to you?

Tipping my hand here. One of the projects I worked on last year was GPS tracking. But your post leads off by breaking how such a system works.
Bob

Collapse -
real-time GPS tracking
by knightsunny / November 3, 2013 5:07 PM PST
In reply to: Dead on arrival.

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Apologies if my post was not very clear. I did not mean 'no data link' whatsoever. All the smartphones have 3G data connectivity. However, when the Rep is inside a building or a lift, often the data connectivity is lost.

I found something truly amazing this morning. http://swisstrains.ch/

I want something similar but on a smaller scale.

I have tried 3 GPS tracking apps but I found Google's My Tracks the best. However, the app only shows real-time movement on the device itself. I do not know how I can view it on my laptop.

Thanks

Collapse -
Something like this?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 3, 2013 5:18 PM PST
In reply to: real-time GPS tracking
http://www.blackboxgps.com/

It's routine in the transport business to follow trucks. So the companies that sell and install such systems might be the partners you need to handle your needs.

Where I live, you would need permission from your employees to track them. Spying on them without their consent would be considered illegal, I think. I just mention this as a precaution. Of course, the companies that sell such things can advise you on the legal aspects also.

Kees
Collapse -
As we were the developers we handled that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2013 12:24 AM PST
In reply to: real-time GPS tracking

I can't reveal any trade secrets but we handled such losses on a case by case scenario. As GPS only works where you can see the sky (or more accurate is when the GPS can see satellites) that's one scenario. The next of a data link loss is that you won't be real-time unless you accept that "last known position."

Once in a while you get a client that can't live with these limitations and we can't make the sale.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Android based tracking solution
by VymoLabs / March 30, 2014 10:54 PM PDT

Knightsunny - If you are still looking for a solution, drop us a note on. We have a subscription based solution which they can install on their devices to map their visits and in return for you to track their footprint and timespend.

Collapse -
Interested in the web based solution posted
by AlfonsoMacias / January 29, 2016 2:04 PM PST

Hi I've a similar situation with my sales force. We would be interested in a demo or presentation with the estimates and please consider if possible to be ran in Spanish language.
Thank you.

Collapse -
This old thread contained spam and was locked.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / January 29, 2016 2:41 PM PST

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Answer
ANSWER - How to - real-time GPS tracking of sales staff
by GPSDashboard / May 6, 2014 3:55 AM PDT

All-

We have a product ("Check-In" by GPSDashboard.com) that would do much of what you are hoping to do with your 5 sales reps. The best recommendation would be to contact us for an on-line demo to see if we can work with your organization to provide a suitable solution that will work to address your needs -outlined as follows;
1) To track movements of sales reps on a laptop.
2) To offer a manufacturer/partner access to tracking sales reps responsible for selling their products.
3) To offer the manufacturer a snapshot/screenshot, at the end of the day, showing where a sales rep visited.

To get a breif overview, you can watch a short video link at http://is.gd/zL2kQn

For more information - please contact:
Peter Lankes
http://GPSDashboard.com
877.937.3654 X1

Collapse -
"they may NOT have data connectivity everywhere they go."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2014 3:59 AM PDT

Odd but your solution appears to need a data connection.

How will you crack this nut?
Bob

Collapse -
Which Gps Tracker
by John19888 / November 12, 2014 1:40 AM PST

Hello. I'd ask for help. Does anyone have experience with GPS trackers? I started a business and I would like to know at all times where my drivers are and how fast you are moving. What would you recommend to me, I looked at amazon and one caught my attention. This is Trackimo . It has basically everything I need and the year is not paid monthly subscription.

Collapse -
Looks to be a failure too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2014 2:32 AM PST
In reply to: Which Gps Tracker

That looks to fail the OP (original posters) need as well. They wanted such without data connections (magic?)
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.