Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

How to put in password log on in Win. 98

My older brother is dumb, thinking he can take my SD cards and use my comp when im not looking, but I do know. Anyways I'm trying to password protect my desktop running Windows 98 SE but each time I start my comp and go through the log in, all i have to do is hit cancel and it still logs in. How do I stop dat and make sure he can never go on my desktop w/o my password just like on my XP laptop? Is there any programs that can put a password on my comp and make sure no one but me can access it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to put in password log on in Win. 98
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to put in password log on in Win. 98
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Freaky, Windows 98 Isn't As Secure as Windows XP..But...

In reply to: How to put in password log on in Win. 98

..you can make a fairly good attempt at locking others out by using a BIOS password or a ScreenSaver password..

1. The BIOS password is set by using your BIOS setup key immediately after startup. (F1, F2, F10, Delete, or Escape) Once your in the BIOS settings, set a password in the "Security" section. DO NOT FORGET THE BIOS PASSWORD. It will then require a specific password before the computer boots.

2. The ScreenSaver password is one that I like. Follow the procedures in the link below to set one.

Setting Up A Screen Saver Password

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Disabling the "cancel" button...

In reply to: How to put in password log on in Win. 98

This was one of my favorite tips before Microsoft finally removed the "cancel" option in Windows XP, thus patching a HUGE security flaw. Just click here for instructions on how to modify your registry to disable the "cancel" button. (Remember that modifying your registry is risky, and wandering off the path given will lead to unpredictable results.) Afterward reboot and only authorized users will be able to access the computer.

Remember, Windows 95/98/ME does not protect one person's files from the other, so everyone that has access to the computer has access to your files/desktop. The only way around this is to secure all of your files using encryption utilities. (For more information, refer to parts 2 and 3 of this post.)

Finally, like Grif suggested, adding a BIOS password provides an extra layer of security. (See this post for instructions on how to access your system BIOS.) Be aware, though, that not all system BIOS support password protection on boot (the password will protect against BIOS changes, but not necessarilly against booting the computer), so this ability may not be available on your computer/BIOS version.

Hope this helps,
John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.