Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to put chart on networking enviroment

by haris703 / January 11, 2010 5:18 PM PST

Dear Sir

My laptop--IBM Thinkpad / Model R50e
OS--- Preload WinsXp Home edition

My problem:

I am a company supervisor I have created a "Staff Chart 2010" by using Microsoft Excel. The purpose is to facilitate all staff when applying theirs leave/Time off/course.

My company computers all networked with every staff aloted with one PC to work.

Now, I do not know how to put Chart 2010 on network so that everyone could make full use of it.

Kindly help/guide me as to how to go about it

Thanks in advance

Sincerely Yours
haris

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to put chart on networking enviroment
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to put chart on networking enviroment
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2010 8:40 PM PST

I've been here before. The person in charge of this didn't know that Excel on a network like this was going to be such a disaster. It was a "shared spreadsheet" for time reporting, etc. and let's say this disaster cost them their jobs. Notice plural. This disaster seems to repeat itself.

What does work is some web app and server with a programmer that was told what the needs were. The real thing does not use a spreadsheet.
Bob

Collapse -
Any alternate way
by haris703 / January 12, 2010 6:40 PM PST
In reply to: Just sharing.

Dear Sir

Could you suggest an alternate solution for this and elaborate clearly.

Thanks

Sincerely yours

haris

Collapse -
Sadly,.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2010 8:47 PM PST
In reply to: Any alternate way

I don't know if this is the usual time card application that so many have tried with the spreadsheet approach. There are apps for that but if you have a network, putting the spreadsheet on the server should be trivial.

The problems that Kees pointed out are real and why I replied so you know ahead of time the usual results.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: network
by Kees Bakker / January 12, 2010 6:48 PM PST

1. Putting a file on the network: ask your companies IT-staff on how to do that. After all, if you have a network, somebody will know how to use it. It doesn't make any sense to have a network and not use it. And that somebody should include your IT-staff at least.

2. The problem with a spreadsheet is that only 1 person at a time can edit it. And it's very easy to do things that you shouldn't do with it, such as:
- overwriting the file with an old version (especially if 2 persons try to edit at the same time)
- accidentally change data entered by a colleague

So what you need is a real multi-user timetracking application. Ask your IT-staff to find and install one for you.
Or let everybody sent their date to you in an mail, and put it in your own administration only. You might put a read-only copy on the network if procedures are such that everybody needs to be able to see it.

Kees

Collapse -
Alright
by haris703 / January 12, 2010 8:34 PM PST
In reply to: Re: network

Dear Kees

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Anyway, I will get IT-personel involve.

Sincerely Yours

haris

Collapse -
Ha Ha ! I got it done
by haris703 / January 13, 2010 2:31 PM PST
In reply to: Alright

Dear Kees

As adviced, I called IT-Section for help and they told me they were busy at the moment. So I said that how about I tried it out first then after that you come and help when you are free.They said OK.

My big problems were that company computers ranged from old OS to new OS likes Wins95 to Wins Vista.

I started off from Wins Vista as host PC and the rest will be client.

I drag and drop Chart 2010 into Vista Public Folder and modify the sharing to allow to change.

Thereafter, I went round to every PC and clicked on Network to look for the host PC, from there I clicked open Chart 2010 then right click and created short cut on desktop.

Its work, every staff could view and update Chart 2010

Well, on my part I just send a return mail and told them to update Chart 2010 when leave/time off/Courses approved.

Frankly speaking, this chart in a way to help me keep record of staff moment.

That's all

Thanks

Sincerely yours
haris

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!