Resolved Question

How to put a 69 GB file onto a dvd using external dvd writer

Okay, so i bought a cheap external dvd writer/burner off Ebay for my Sony Vaio laptop. I have a .avi file that is 69 GB, which i know is very large. I think there is no such disc that will fit all of it on one, but where do i start? What items should i buy to complete this task? What program should i use? I am new at this but promised my mom i would do this for her, so i want it to turn out good. I want to be able to watch the files on the dvd player on the tv. Any help is greatly appreciated!
-stardust2222

Discussion is locked
stardust2222 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: How to put a 69 GB file onto a dvd using external dvd writer
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to put a 69 GB file onto a dvd using external dvd writer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
What you're going to have to do

What you're going to have to do is break the file up into segments, and burn the segments to discs. Then you'll have to get up and change discs every so often.

- Collapse -
Answer
You surw about that file size?

69 GB for an AVI video file is enormously huge. I can't even compute the size of the thing, but when many videos are in the 'hundreds' of MB range, a 69 GB is thousands of times bigger.

That can't be right.

Mark

- Collapse -
It could

It could if it were a couple hours worth of 1080p video, which some video recorders are capable of capturing now. You have 1920x1080 pixels for every single frame, not to mention the audio. That'll add up quickly.

- Collapse -
69 GB is what it says...

Okay so i'm somewhat computer illiterate, but it is a series of "segments" if you will, its a torrent i downloaded. It took me 3 weeks just to download the thing! So if i break it down into a bunch of discs, how do i know if one of them will be cut off at the end? Should i fill up the disc space completely or leave a little room? Oh and my external usb burner says "Lightscribe" ready. What does that do?

- Collapse -
Ouch!

Sorry. As soon as you sad Torrent download this discussion was doomed.

That is likely to be a pirated copy of a recognised commercial film and that breaks Forum Policy.

I am locking this discussion as we cannot help circumvent pirated content.

If you feel I have erred or misjudged the situation, feel free to send me a message through the Report Offensive Post" icon, (yellow triangle with the ! mark), bottom right of my post with your reasons why.

Mark

CNET Forums