Question

How to properly burn a DVD onto a DVD-R disc

I have never done this before and I think I know what I did wrong but I want to make sure by asking people who know what's up rather than wasting more DVD's.
I wanted to copy a workout DVD of mine to let my daughter use in her room so she didn't have to keep borrowing mine. I inserted the workout DVD into my laptop and copy and pasted the file onto my hard drive. Then used Nero to burn the file from my hard drive onto the blank DVD-R disc. It works in my laptop and playstation but not her DVD player. I checked the manual for the DVD player and it says it plays DVD-R and DVD-RW discs.

Should I have not copy and pasted to my hard drive and just burned it using Nero and then burned it to the blank DVD-R?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: How to properly burn a DVD onto a DVD-R disc
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: How to properly burn a DVD onto a DVD-R disc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Never copy and paste...

if you want to play it with a standalone dvd player (copy and paste are for data disc). What version of Nero do you have? Does it have a "clone disc" feature?

- Collapse -
Thanks

I am using Nero burn lite 10. I am not sure if it has a "clone disc" feature. It has the ability to copy the disc and burn onto a blank disc. It was free with my laptop.
The original DVD I am trying to make a copy of is a copy as well because she lost my original (thank goodness I had a copy). So basically I am making a copy of a copy. And the one I have plays in the DVD player but the one I made yesterday will not.

- Collapse -
There are free titles that can clone dvd/cds

Try:

CDBURNERXP (works on 7, Vista, XP)
IMGBURN (a little advanced in features such as saving this DVD to an .ISO for backup.)

Bob

CNET Forums