Question

how to print current window and/or print screen.

I have changed from XP to WIN 7 home prem. Toshiba Satalite. 64 bit. I don't think anymore info is necessary for my question. Always before I could hit the print screen key above number pad on XP. and then paste to a word doc. Another option is to print current screen. For example if you have some kind of error message and want to copy it to send to a computer tech person to help with the problem they can see the error message or what ever the "current screen" is for the problem On XP always held the ALT button while pressing print screen key. I have experimented with my new win 7 but it doesn't work that way. Soooooo ? I would like to figure that one out. I just like to know how to do basic things. It ends up helping myself. expands understanding of how to's on the computer. Thank you so much for any response. imgrateful_1 always for help.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: how to print current window and/or print screen.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: how to print current window and/or print screen.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Alt+PrtScr still works here but it does NOT PRINT

It's in the clipboard.

But here's a BIG ISSUE. On my laptop this FAILS because I have to hit the Fn+PrtScr and the Alt fails. I think this is a bug in those laptops since an external keyboard works fine.

My guess is I could install some other printscreen helper app but I haven't needed it since the very nice "Snipping Tool" gives me more options.

--> Have you tried the new Snipping Tool?
Bob

- Collapse -
R proffit's answer

No I haven't gone there. I think that traces what you want to copy? but then where do you paste it? That would be nice to know. Just to know. Geez figuring computers is like walking through a forest of trees. Like an old saying; "can't see the forest for the trees."

- Collapse -
Ok let's get something out of the way.

XP does not come with a native way to print to the printer PrtScr, Alt+PrtScr or such. We would add that with some helper app.

Fast forward to today and I find folk forget what app they installed to cause such to print on the printer. I can't tell if this is what is going on here.

-> You ask about the Snipping Tool. 1. It's a great feature and let's me snag just what I want. 2. I can paste it where ever I want. Most of the time I click it's save button to later send it up to Photobucket where I need a screen of detail for folk here.

Thankfully I brought along a GPS and compass this time.
Bob

CNET Forums