HolidayBuyer's Guide

Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

How to print a book from Word?

by Lars Winther / May 6, 2007 5:28 PM PDT

Hi there.

Is there an easy way to print a book from word?

In short i have 36 A4-pages which i want to print with to pages on each sheet (so they're A5), and as a book, i.e. printing on both sides of each sheet.

I was wondering if there was a function where I'd automatically be asked to feed a certain page into the printer at a certain time - i.e. a "step-by-step" walktrough of how to get my pages printes exactly as they should, so I just need to fold the book afterwards? I mean, on the 1st sheet I'd need the first and last pages on one side, and the 2nd and 2nd-last on the other side - and so on...

any ideas?

I'm on Mac OSX 10.4, Word 2004

thanks, Lars

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to print a book from Word?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to print a book from Word?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: printing a book(let)
by Kees Bakker / May 6, 2007 7:10 PM PDT

I do this manually. I'm not smart enough (or I don't take the trouble) to find out the formulas, so I start with folding a dummy and noting the page numbers on it, then unfolding it again. Then for an 8-page booklet I get 8,1/2,7 and 6,3/4,5.
Then in Word I print 8,1,6,3 on blank paper, giving 2 sheets printed on 1 side. Which I put in the printer again (in the only right way) to print 2,7,4,5 on the other side.

The two tricks:
- Fill in the right page numbers in the right sequence in Pages box in the Print dialog window.
- Put the stack of paper in the printer in the right way.

At work, I just tell out big the multi-function printer to print the document as a book. But I don't have such a printer at home, just a small inkjet.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Printing a book(let)
by Lars Winther / May 6, 2007 7:24 PM PDT

Hi Kees. Thanks for the reply...

I could do that - and it will be my solution if nothing better comes up. But my reason for wanting a better way is that I'll be printing the book in various versions from time to time...

Specifically, I'm talking about a book containing chords and lyrics for pop-songs. Everytime I play a gig (I'm a musician) I can then print a book containing the exact songs that we're playing this evening - and when I get new tunes, I can just add them under the right letter in the word-document, and they'll be part of my "printable repertoire"

So any additional ideas (or knowledge of templates for word on OSX?) would be appreciated...

/Lars

Collapse -
Very difficult
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 6, 2007 9:11 PM PDT

I would have done it Kees way as there seems to be no easy solution other than using a commercial printing service, and they probably would not entertain a print run of just one.

But if you are using Microsoft Office, does your Office suite include Publisher? Mine does but I have never looked at it before, but have just had a look and it seems to offer a "Publish as a book" option in the Print Preview.

It looks interesting.

If you don't have Publisher what about using lateral thinking to solve this, eg;

Make a copy of the file so you can work on the copy and not the original.
Create a new blank document.
Keep the A4 paper size but change it from Portrait to Landscape.
Reformat the pages so they are in Newspaper Columns, two to a page.
From your copy, number each page manually into A5 book format.
From the copy of your document copy and paste each page into the newspaper columns document in the order that would create a book.
Print.

It would be laborious the first time, but once it is set up it may be easier to maintain it.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Then write a macro to automate the process.
by Kees Bakker / May 6, 2007 10:14 PM PDT
Collapse -
Hm...
by Lars Winther / May 7, 2007 10:07 PM PDT

With the risk of being laughed at, this looks to technical for me...

I think I'll try and make a model in excel where I can input the nr. of pages and then get a overview of which pages to match together... I'm not really sure yet, but maybe it can be done mathematically...

Thanks for the help though...

Collapse -
Reposting for Jan-Marie.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 7, 2010 5:26 PM PDT

But I left out his tagline link. That's not allowed here.

-----------------------

the best way is to set it up as an A5 page layout then save it to a pdf file. Then it will print the pages as you have set them up.

I have my paper man cut A4 into A5 sizes for books. Doing it via an A4 sheet is complicated and time consuming. Take you A4 to your nearest stationary and have them cut it to size. load it in your tray and then once it is converted to pdf (this stops it moving around as it will in word)it will print out ready to be bound - easy.

cheers
Jan-Marie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.