Camcorders forum

how to prevent rolling shutter?

by zornzero / May 17, 2014 7:11 PM PDT

Hello, I'm not a professional photographer.

I'm trying to record my laser beam shows with a Canon 600D camera. I can't get rid of the rolling shutter effect caused by rapidly moving laser beams!
Here's what a laser beam show looks like:

I've tried setting the shutter speed as low as possible, tried changing the fps, nothing helps...

I don't think there's even an affordable CCD camera these days I can purchase from what I've been told.
I've got this old big video camera which I think has a CCD sensor but it's a VHS camera!

What can I do? This has become extremely frustrating.

if you think knowing how these laser devices work will help you find the answer, then here's a simple summary:

There's a single RGB laser beam
The beam is hitting two tiny mirrors which can move very fast
The mirrors can move as fast as 24000 - 60000 times per second
So the multiple beams or moving beams is caused by the fact that those mirrors are moving that single beam so fast our eyes can't catch up.
The beam is very bright, if not moving it can light up a candle in a second, so it is set up to never reach the eyes and camera lens.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to prevent rolling shutter?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to prevent rolling shutter?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Sounds like you want to talk about persistand of vision.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2014 10:04 PM PDT

The camera's sensor is unlike the human eye and as such you will capture something different than the human eye. I see you tried lower FPS but most devices don't have something as slow as the human vision system. I must defer to the textbooks how that works but CCD works differently from CMOS and there are other types of sensors too.

Frankly I think your video is fine for a product demo. But to do better I fear custom software which is beyond what I can discuss here. That is, image processing. My thought is to extend the shutter time by taking 2 frames and blending those for a single frame. It won't be perfect but could help. Figure it may take a programmer to make it happen.

Collapse -
(NT) Bad typo in title. Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2014 10:07 PM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?