HolidayBuyer's Guide

Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

How to prevent people from seeing "From" button when sending

by hairymon / October 17, 2006 3:26 AM PDT

We have an Exchange Server 2003, and most people in the office use MS OFFICE XP (a few people use Office 2000). Actually, the server is a Small Business 2003 suite.

I was tinkering around with options on the outgoing mail form, and learned that you could add a "From" button about the "To" and "Cc" buttons in Outlook. I then learned that you could put anything you want in it, and if it is another user on the Exchange Server, it will say it came from that user. This was true for mailboxes I DO NOT have permission to on the Exchange Server. While the default is not to see the "From" button, it didn't look like it would take a genius to figure this out.

I can't see why Microsoft would have such a feature. And I can't find any easy way on either the Exchange Server or in Outlook to prevent people from doing this. This seems like a dangerous feature that could lead to a big security issue.

Is there a way anyone out there knows to "block" this that I'm not thinking of? Like creating some sort of complicated "policy" on the network? Or does it involve "custom programming"? Please let me know, thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to prevent people from seeing "From" button when sending
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to prevent people from seeing "From" button when sending
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Who wrote this was a MS feature?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2006 4:12 AM PDT

Spoofing SMTP/POP3 is a time honored tradition. Or rather it's allowed by this "standard." You are giving Microsoft far too much credit here.

Bob

Collapse -
I know spoofing is notorious and common.....
by hairymon / October 17, 2006 4:25 AM PDT

I just want to know if we can easily make it so no one in the office can "spoof" from their own Exchange account.

Collapse -
Are you sure...
by entrecon / October 17, 2006 5:21 AM PDT

I just went in and tested it here (not sure what version of Exchange our IT department is Using) with Outlook 2003. I can see the From line, but when I try to actually send the messaage, I get a pop-up box that says I do not haver permission to send the e-mail on behalf of another user.

Try sending a couple of messages to yourself and see what it actually looks like. I believe this is used for Administrative Assistance who send e-mail on behalf of their boss.

Collapse -
Thanks, you solved it
by hairymon / October 18, 2006 12:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Are you sure...

I knew it had to be a permissions issue, but just didn't know where. What you said confirmed it so after playing around with different settings I got it so that if you do use the from, it will tell you after you try to send it that you don't have permission to be "so-and-so". Thanks much!

Collapse -
How else to handle multiple email accounts?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2006 5:35 AM PDT
http://www.askdavetaylor.com/microsoft_outlook_2003_configuring_multiple_accounts.html

You may have to call Microsoft to see if some "Policy" can stop outlook's support of multiple accounts but do test this now by attempting your spoof. Now when the email comes in, double click on the from name to see where it really came from.

This is not your old mainframe but a Personal Computer. You can't imagine how much IT staff time is spent trying to go back to the old ways.

Bob
Collapse -
Multiple accounts
by entrecon / October 17, 2006 6:07 AM PDT

I only have my Exchange account in front of me here, but I believe when not using Exchange, under the options for the message there is a "Send Using" feature that lets you choose which account should send your message.

What shows up on that list are any accounts that have been set-up. You could "spoof" by creating an account with the phony information. I do beieve I set one up years ago that showed my e-mail as bill @ microsoft.com

Only sent one message to myself as a test. I really don't want to be Bill..I just want 1% of his money Happy

Collapse -
Here's the tool you need to explore.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2006 6:59 AM PDT
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011401681033.aspx

"The CMW File Viewer (CMWView.exe) enables you to view the changes that a configuration maintenance file (CMW file) makes to a user's computer. This viewer also provides a list of all possible changes the Custom Maintenance Wizard can make through a CMW file."

You'll also want to have the Office Resource Kit installed so you can look through all its offerings.

Bob
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.